Lesson 2: Getting to know you

The next day you had spent most of the day training, kick after kick, punch after punch. You moved more like a dancer then fighter, each movement more fluid then the last. You had spent your childhood play fighting with a neighbor boy who's parents had forced him to go martial arts. And you had taught him ballet that your parents had forced you to do. The result was beautiful fluidity with each strike you took, each one as dangerous as it was beautiful.
    Your ear buds were nestled in your ears as you trained. You thought about the million ways you could torture Bucky, oh he was going to regret coming to you for help. That didn't mean you weren't going to help, just that you would have have fun while do it. You smirked to yourself as you threw the last kick before walking over your gym bag, pulling your blue tooth buds out and tossing them in.
    Sweat covered your body as you stepped out into the hall, the cold air shocking your system. You walked into the kitchen looking at the clock on the wall, it was almost one, which meant Bucky would be showing soon. You opened the fridge to snag a bottle of water out when you heard him clear his throat. Slowly you stood, grinning to yourself and looked over your shoulder at him.
    As a standard with the man he was wearing a long sleeve shirt, burgundy in today's case, and dark jeans. His hair was pulled back as well, and even though you gave him crap about having a man bun he was one of the few men that could actually pull it off. His blues eyes tracked you as you walked over toward the island and leaned your hip against it.
   "So tell me old grasshopper, what did you learn?" You asked, taking a drink from the water bottle.
     "That you have a colorful vocabulary when trying explain things." He smirked, leaning against the door frame.
     "Is that all you took away from yesterday's lesson?" You sighed, feeling slightly annoyed.
    "No, actually I got on to the Internet last night, and did some looking up." He said back.
    "Porn doesn't count Buck." You quipped back.
     "Ha Ha, I don't look up porn." He shot at you.
    "I'm going to call bullshit, but let's get past that." You said. "What did you find out?"
    "Found countless sources about dates that went bad, mostly because of men attacking women when they wouldn't do what they wanted." He replied, all humor left his eyes as they held yours. "And I'd like to apologize for how I acted yest.."
    "Don't even." You cut him off, holding up your hand. Last thing you wanted was him treating you any different then he already did. "That's not why I wanted you to look, I wanted you to know for future possible dates. And since we aren't dating rules don't apply."
     "Alright, so, now I get to know you without directly asking you." He asked, running his hand up through his hair. "How am I supposed to find out if I don't ask you?"
    "Let's go for a walk, it's a nice day outside." You smiled, walking past him, you heard him groan but his steps began to follow you anyway.
    "We can't just sit there and have a reasonable conversation about this?" He complained as you opened the back door, walking out into the sunlight.
     "We will, but I don't feel like being cooped up." You replied, stepping out into the grass, turning and walking backwards heading toward the tree line.
    "Back to why can't I just ask you what you like?" He questioned, jogging slightly to catch up.
     "Alright Bucky, what is your favorite book?" You snarked back, his face went blank as he stared at you. His mouth hung slightly open as he stared out before him once he caught up, you turned around to walk the same route. "That's the reason, when you put someone on the spot, their mind goes blank. Plus it's ultra creepy to just ask someone when you haven't had a normal conversation."
     "Okay, fine. I get your point but then how do I find out?" He grumbled as you both walked into the woods, shadows from leaves above you cooling the air.
    "Well, a good way is to ask if she knows any books, movies, places to go. And explain your question in a way that just makes it seem like you've got down time or trying to get out of your stuffy routine." You explained, ducking under a low branch while looking over at him.
    "My routine isn't stuffy." He scoffed, looking of at you.
    "Uh, yes it is. Get up, go for a run, get breakfast while your out, come back, hit the gym. Work out for three hours, then protein shake and lunch, go for another run, train, eat again, then you hit the gym again or train with one of the guys. Eat, maybe you watch a movie, or read a book, you ready yourself for bed, porn and then lights out." You retorted, rolling your eyes.
    "Okay, that is really creepy you know my routine and I don't watch porn, y/n." He snarked back.
     "I know everyone's routine, including Nat's. It's a habit, knowing where everyone is, and you do to watch porn, my room is right next yours incase you forgot." You said back as you neared the small clearing you had been headed to, the one with the creek running through it.
    "Why is it a habit?" He asked stopping as you did, his eyes watching your face as you looked out over the clearing.
     "Because I like to know where every one is and my surroundings, ice man, I have my quirks just like everyone else." You sighed, smiling to yourself. "If you watch people long enough, Bucky, you don't have to ask questions to get to know them."
    You turned to look at him, it had taken a little while to walk to the clearing and the Sun was already taking its turn to start setting. His face was scrunched up as he tried to decipher your statement. His eyes were such a bright shade of blue, you hadn't really noticed how beautiful they were till this moment.
    "So you think you know someone by watching them? Besides routine." He asked crossing his arms, a small smirk on his face.
    "I know that you aren't fond of ketchup, if you do use it it's sparingly and off to the side of your food. When you get nervous or unsure of yourself you rub the back of your neck, you also like to have Steve on your right side. When you concentrate you stick your tongue out the corner of your mouth or you hum." You ticked of a few things you've noticed, watching as his brow wrinkled up.
    "That's not knowing someone, that watching there mannerisms." He retorted, you rolled your eyes at him, sighing heavily.
    "Okay, you don't like modern war movies because they are to real, and if the guys decide to watch it you excuse yourself to your room and put a record on. The reason is cause the first time they decided to you had a flashback in your sleep. You like photography, specifically black and white, and mostly of scenery or people your are close to. It's calming and takes you back to the era you are from, an era you understand even though desperately you want to belong in this one." You rattled off crossing your own arms, watching his eyes widen. "It's the reason you compare the two, and you ask a shit ton of questions. You make sure Steve and everyone else eats before you because your mind is stuck in the past where food was more scarce and you want to make sure everyone gets their fill first. You also hide your arm in a hundred degree weather telling everyone that it's not that hot, when in reality you thinking everyone looks at that bright red star and think of Hydra. Which we don't by the way. You don't think I figure people out with out questions?"
    "Okay kid, that was impressive." He responded, bringing his hand up to the back of his neck and stopping realizing what he was doing as he was doing it.
    "The question is can you do the same? In the two years we've known each other have you been able to figure out half as much about me?" You asked, looking back out the creek and slowly walking over.
   Bucky tried to think of one thing you liked to do, and that's when he realized that even though he had known you for two years he knew nothing about you, except that you trained early in the day. He never really seen you talk to many people either, he took a deep breath as he walked over the creek were you had stopped.
    "No, other then you train early, you have the best kicks around, you have a sharp tongue and you keep to yourself." He responded, looking down into the water, watching as tiny minnow swam around.
    "So why don't you pretend I'm diner girl." You said, sitting down on a large rock that was at the stream bed.
    "Kid, that would just be weird." He shook his head, sitting down next you.
    "It's called roll play, trust me, women like it in a different context." You snarked at him, grabbing a rock and throwing it in the water, watching as it rippled.
    "Fine, do you know any know good books?" He stated, sounding through unamused.
    "Depends on what you like, I could tell you a couple good authors though." You looked over at him, he raised an eyebrow at you.
   "That would be wonderful."
    "If you like suspense and interesting plot, Dean Koontz is a amazing. If you like murder mysteries, try the Alex Delaware series by Jonathan Kellerman." You stated, wondering if he was actually listening.
    "But what does that tell me about a person?" He asked, watching the water as he grabbed a rock and tossed it in.
    "It doesn't, but it gets you talking at least." You stared at the creek, letting the silence fall between the two you. Bucky looked around, really taking in the clearing and the creek. He looked over at you, your knees drawn up your chest as you watched the water ripple just a head of the both of you.
    "Do you come to this place often?" Bucky asked, his eyes finally landing back on you.
     "Direct question, not answering." You replied, barely lifting your head from your knees.
    "Do you know of any good places to sit a relax?" He asked, rolling his eyes at you.
    "Yes, there is this quiet little clearing with creek running through it about an hours walk east of the compound. It's a good place no one knows about it. There is one west south west, it's just a bunch of cool looking rocks covered in thick foliage no body knows about either." You told him, your eyes never leaving the water. "Sorry, I'm kind of boring, I like quiet places to sit and think."
     "Nothing wrong with that, I like quiet places too." Bucky smiled, looking out over the stream as the sun began to set.