Three

Lilly and Larry (1989)

Larry watched as his ten year old daughter, Lilly, played with her volley ball with her two friends. He smiled to himself, glad he could finally have some peace. He had recently retired from the Army after he had learned his heart is going bad.

His wife had died five years before, leaving him a single father to Lilly. Lilly laughed as her friend, Danny Paul, hit Jenny in the foot with the ball.

Larry walked back inside the house, intending to make himself, Lilly, Danny, and Jenny some dinner. Larry turned on the stove after about fifteen minutes of watching tv, then looked out the window. It was starting to get dark, so he opened the sliding door.

"Girls, Danny, it's getting dark so let's think about coming in for the night!" Larry called to his daughter and her friends.

"Okay Dad!" Lilly called back. Larry closed the door, and went back over to the stove. Before he could put the pan on, Lilly and her friends came bursting through the door, laughing. They went back to Lilly's room, then closed the door.

Larry chuckled, and went over to the sink to wash his hands. He went back over to the stove, drying his hands. He put his hand on the edge, and bent over to grab a pan.

He felt a sharp pain in his heart, and gasped. He slid his hand over the stove and dropped the wash cloth on it. He grabbed at his heart with both hands, and toppling over.

He couldn't breathe, it was so painful. He kept gasping and moaning, until he looked up to the roof, knowing it was time. He felt bad for Lilly, but knew she could handle.

"Lilly!" He tried to call to her but he couldn't even understand what he was saying.

He let go, and slumped over on his back, still looking at the roof. He slipped away from reality.

The wash cloth was laying on the burner, engulfed in flames. It had caught the whole stove on fire, inching its way towards Larry's body.

In five minutes, the whole kitchen was flaming. The smoke was moving throughout the house, moving closer to Lilly's room. The smoke alarms were screaming at them to get out of the house.

Lilly had locked the door, hoping that would do good. They were frantically trying to get the window open. Lilly noticed the smoke coming in from the cracks in the door, and whimpered.

She knew exactly what to do. She remembered what her dad ran through with her every month. She knew the fire drill by heart. Cover the cracks with her blankets and pillows, open her window, get out, and meet by the tree.

Lilly ran to her bed and threw off her blankets. She covered the bottom of the door with her small blanket, then climbed up on her dresser with her comforter. She hung it over the door, and jumped down.

"We have to get the window open!" Lilly yelled. "Jenny, can you call 9-1-1?"

Jenny ran over to Lilly's landline and picked it up. Lilly went over to the window and helped Danny try and pry it open. Lilly had no idea why it was stuck.

Lilly could hear Jenny on the phone with the police. "They're coming!" Jenny yelled.

Lilly started coughing, and looked over at the door. She saw smoked coming in from the sides of the blanket. 'I didn't cover it up well enough!' Lilly yelled to herself.

All three of the kids started coughing as the room filled with smoke. Jenny collapsed, and Danny and Lilly frantically ran over to her.

"Jenny! Jen!" Danny shook her, crying. Lilly started to get dizzy, Black clouded her vision, then she fainted.

Danny was awake when the firemen arrived. He had gotten the window open, and was trying to pull Jenny out. Two firemen helped Danny, and two went inside the house to put the fire out.

Danny and the firemen got Jenny and Lilly out safely, and took them to the hospital to recover. The other two firemen however, found Larry's charred body laying on the kitchen floor.

Fin