- 2 -

"seriously richie? could you be taking up any more space?"

richie blinked, sitting up against the uncomfortable cafeteria chair. it took him a good minute to realise who was speaking, and when he did, his cheeks turned crimson.

eddie was sat beside him, a playful smile on his glossy lips and his eyebrows raised in masked amusement. richie couldn't help the grin that overcame his abashed features, winking at eddie.

"you love it."

eddie rolled his eyes.

"you're lucky i do, trashmouth."

the small shower of affection caused richie's chest to buzz lightly, a lovestruck smile making its way onto his face.

you see, this is what happens, ladies and gentlemen,

when you fall in love with your best friend.

eddie and richie had been best friends since the second grade. richie had spotted the petite brunette in the playground one day, and admired him from afar. his small childish mind has been filled to the brim with curiosity as to why this particular boy had a daffodil behind his left ear.

but a seven year old richie was unable to simply wonder.

and so when he had asked this boy about his flower, they had told him he wore them because they were pretty.

but all richie could think was this boy was prettier than any flower he'd ever seen.

over the years, richie and eddie's bond had never faltered, and only ever grew stronger. of course, they changed, but they changed together. and that was why they loved eachother the way they did.

now. their relationship was...

complicated.

to say the least.

the two would flirt shamelessly as though their lives depended on it, even going as far as to tease one another in public settings. their friends had just about had enough, and not even because of the disgustingly sexual connotations behind most of their words.

no. it was because although richie and eddie had made it very clear that they both showed an interest in one another,

they were still avoiding doing anything about it.

but as richie watched eddie throw his head back in laughter, his small nose crinkled with joy,

he wondered, for the very first time,

if there would ever be a right time for things to change.

-

stanley's phone rang monotonously, and he placed a finger on the line he was reading before he was rudely interrupted. he picked it up and huffed in annoyance.

"what?"

"oh hi stanely, yeah, nice to hear your voice too."

he rolled his eyes and smiled as he instantly recognised the voice.

"yeah yeah, whatever. what do you want, richie?"

there was a laugh from the other end of the phone.

"well, i have good news and better news."

stan raised an eyebrow, intrigued. it was rare that richie actually said something that surprised him.

"go on."

he could hear richie inhale as his breath caused the phone line to crackle.

"i'm going to ask out eddie."

stan swore his eyebrows reached his hairline.

"you- what?"

"yep, and that's not all."

richie paused.

"you, stan the man, are gonna help me do it."

stanley's expression was blank for a moment, mainly from the shock of richie's sudden proclamation.

that was definitely not what he had been expecting.

but then his lips formed a roguish grin, and he shook his head at his friends foolishness. ideas began running through his head, and he closed his book.

"it's about fucking time."

-

go on richie my lad get in there