Location, fortification

Let's face it, at some point you've thought about owning your own safe house. How cool would it be to have an amazing line of defense in the face of impending doom?! Or is that just me? An epic tree house, an underwater lair, the ultimate fortress... sounds good, right? 

Back to reality, if you don't have one, (kudos if you do, I'm coming to your house during the apocalypse) then your best bet is locating to somewhere simple enough to fortify and keep a watchful eye on. This would be even better if you had multiple people as you could keep shifts. It's preferable if you stay somewhere with more than one level as you have access to different escape routes. That being said however, make sure that these are well defended. You could even place traps near them. Dig a deep pit or place some barbed wire booby trap near these points - just make sure you don't snag yourself in one of them. 

If you've been lucky enough to secure a decent enough base, then start making plans for the long-run. Grow your own garden, install some solar panels, build a giant gate, establish a look-out tower... create your own community. That might be wishful thinking, but hey, it could happen!