C H A P T E R - N I N E

This is short one! Next chapter is the last! This book was so fun to write! I hope that you enjoyed it :)

_____________________________________________________________________________

“Ergh, you look like a zombie” says someone, but I don’t bother to open my eyes. I only squint and she the shape of a dark figure. I bury my face in my pillow and groan, I was exhausted from last night. Me and Jace had stayed up till 3 in the morning, and I’ll admit, I was scared after watching The Ring.

“Wake up. Jace is up checking last minute things. You wanna go help him?” Jane’s suggests and sits on the end of my bed. I throw my cover off and sit up, batting my crazy hair down and yawning. I mumble and jump up, putting on a hoodie and strolling in to Jace’s room. It was the first time I’d wandered in, but the air smelled like Jace. I inhaled the pleasant smell and realised Jace was zipping up his bags.

“Hi, sleepy head” He teases and I scratch my scalp, feeling rather awkward. The room looked slightly messed, but I could tell he’d been trying to tidy up and leave the place looking spotless.

“You ready?” I ask him, walking closer and sitting on his neatly made bed.

“Yeah.” He puts his bag down near the door, ready to be taken down. My eyes travel to Jace who’s staring at me with his hands in his pockets.

“Let’s go down and have some breakfast” I laugh nervously, and walk towards the door, kicking one of bags accidentally. I send a ‘Oops’ look his way but he just smiles and follows me out. Jane appears from her room and calls us towards her..

“Let’s go eat” she calls and skips down the stairs. I follow and land on the creaking step.

“So, did you have nightmares after last night?” he smirks at me and I shrug.

“No, I wasn’t scared.” I reply confidently. It was that scary at first, but yeah I jumped a few times, screamed a few times so my mom ran downstairs holding a lamp at protection. She then yelled at me and went back to bed. The most embarrassing thing was jumping onto Jace and hiding my face. I’d thrown my protection pillow across the room after screaming that I had to use Jace at the alternative pillow. Yeah he just laughed at my face.

“Of course you weren’t” he taunts and pulls up a chair in the kitchen table. “I could tell that by the way you buried your face in my chest when you saw Noah dead” he sniggers and I scowl.

“Yo” interrupts Jane, holding up her camera in our direction. “Shuffle in so I can take a picture.”

Jace immediately comes closer and puts his arm on the back of my chair. I lean in too so our cheeks are really close. We both smile, and Jane clicks a picture, the flash blinding me for a split second. Then I feel Jace kiss my cheek, my face burning scarlet.

“Cute” says Jane, looking at the picture on her camera. Our heads turn to the front door when the doorbell rings. My mom rushes over and lets them in whilst I butter my toast and take a bite. I feel a hand pat on my back and I greet Connor.

“Breakfast” he chimes and grabs some toast, eating it and rubbing his stomach in appreciation. “Mmm” he mumbles and Jane pecks a quick kiss his cheek.

“Guys, come to the living room” she instructs and we trail along. “MOM” she bellows and she joins us. I see her fiddle with her camera and place it on top of the fireplace. It was ticking.

“It’s timed, quickly get ready.” She orders and we stand in front of it. We all smile and get ready when the flash erupts and for the second time my vision is out of focus.

Jane is already smiling down at her camera and hugging Jace.

“This is so cute.” She squeaks. I leave them all to enjoy the moment. My gaze falls on the clock. It was 11 o’clock and I needed to get ready. I quietly slip into my room and change into some jeans, a shirt and throw on my denim jacket.

“NIKKI” my mom calls up the stairs. I impatiently brush the loose strands of hair, combing them back to tame it. I drop my brush on the desk and storm downstairs to find Connor and Jace having a lame game or arm wrestling.

“Pathetic,” I mumble and snigger at them. “You guys are so weak, you couldn’t beat me.”

They scoff, Connor grins my way but that was his mistake. Jace took the chance and pushed Connor’s arm down on the table. Jace erupted with cheers but Connor buried his face in his hands and cried mockingly. But boys being boys, they shook hands and played again.

***

It became quarter past two faster than I thought. Connor and Jane were heaving Jace’s luggage into the trunk and Jace was hugging my mom and giving their farewells. She wasn’t going to go to the airport with us.

“Come on.” Yells Jane and gets in the passenger seat of Connors car. I join then in the back and watch Jace stroll towards us. “20 minutes to the airport” pipes up Connor, facing Jane. “D’you think we can beat traffic?”

“Only if you drive fast.” Jane smiles.

And true to Jane’s words, Connor drove like crazy and we ended up in the airport in about 15 minutes. We put all of the luggage onto a trolley and waited for the gate to open for Jace. It was five minutes to three and my stomach did flips. I was nervous, scared and missing Jace already, even though he was right beside me. Jane brings Jace into a bone crushing hug and says goodbye. Connor and Jace hi-fived each other, planning how Jace could bribe his parents so he can come back for the wedding.

Then it was my turn, the gate had opened and my heart thudded really fast. Jace faced me and hugged me tightly. I was now fully crying into his shoulder. Oh god! How pathetic am I? I heard him chuckle and I quickly wiped the falling tears from my eyes.

“Your crying” he states and I shake my head.

“No, I don’t cry” I said grinning, trying to cover up the endless falling tears, but as per usual, I failed. He again quickly hugged me then let go. I was expecting him to kiss me, but instead he walked off towards the gate, giving us all one last wave, then disappearing into the crowd. Jane takes my hand and leads me out of the airport. I sat in the back of the car for the rest of the journey, keeping quiet while Jane and Connor were talking. I’d managed to stop the tears and I hoped to god that Jace's parents would let him come back.

__________________________________________________________________________

Please comment and vote! Thank you :)