Writing Prompt #SoloTravel

Calling all travel lovers, dreamers, and wanderlust seekers! We have paired up with Marriott International's online travel publication, Marriott TRAVELER to bring you another incredible writing opportunity.

 THE PROMPT                                                                                   

Taking cues from Cheryl Strayed, author of Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail, write a story as an empowered solo traveler, and explore the following questions: What are you hoping to find and explore on your trip? Where would you go, and what life lessons are you looking to cherish forever? What makes that place such a draw for you personally? And why is it better to do it on your own?

OR

If you've taken a memorable solo trip, what were the best parts about traveling alone? Was it freeing? Scary? Exciting? What are the memories you'll remember forever from that trip? Tell us your story!

The goal is to capture great examples of how traveling solo shouldn't be scary, but rather can have a powerful impact on developing who you are as a human being. We want to explore the adventures you can have on your own while you explore the world – and encourage others to do the same in a fun, informative and entertaining way.

Be conversational and descriptive as you tell your stories. The more details the better. Tag your story #SoloTravel

Marriott TRAVELER is the hotel industry's most popular online magazine, inspiring travel to the world's greatest destinations through engaging storytelling.

This is YOUR CHANCE to be featured as a respected contributor to Marriott TRAVELER. The winner will also receive a $500 Marriott Hotels gift card! 

 The winner will also receive a $500 Marriott Hotels gift card! 

"It had nothing to do with gear or footwear or the backpacking fads or philosophies of any particular era or even with getting from point A to point B.

It had to do with how it felt to be in the wild. With what it was like to walk for miles with no reason other than to witness the accumulation of trees and meadows, mountains and deserts, streams and rocks, rivers 

and grasses, sunrises and sunsets. The experience was powerful and fundamental. It seemed to me that it had always felt like this to be a human in the wild, and as long as the wild existed it would always feel this way."

― Cheryl Strayed, Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail 

Need some inspiration? Check out these stories on Marriott Traveler:

Rise to the Rally: The Ultimate Road Trip to Cross One-Third of Earth's Circumference

The Ten Commandments of Sushi

Submission deadline: October 31, 2018, 11:59 pm EST

Submission guidelines:

- This grand prize is only open to U.S residents

- If you're outside of the U.S., don't fret - even though you can't win the grand prize, you can still submit a story and Wattpad will give the one we like best a shout out from the @Travel profile!

- If you have travel photos, include them! 

-Your story must be between 500-1,000 words, with a firm maximum of 1,000 words - anything over that will be disqualified

-Stories must be tagged #SoloTravel

-Each prize-winning Entry will become the sole and exclusive property of Prize Provider, and Prize Winner will be required to transfer/assign their rights in such entry to Prize Provider

Have fun with your entry! Think about telling your story the way you would a friend – or the way you would want to read it in your favorite magazine.