Chapter 7 (Never any Rest)

"Gagh!"

Shiro bolted upright, a burning pain searing his back. He quickly check himself over, paranoid that he had lost a limb.

He was fine.

Leaning back against the boulder behind him, Shiro let out a sigh of relief. Although he would never say anything to the rest of the team, he was always afraid of getting another part replaced by a machine.

It made him feel less human.

He shook the thought away and focused on the pain in his back. Did he get injured during the crash?

Bracing himself for the sight of a bone sticking out, he turned his head to try and glimpse his back.

Fortunately, there was no damage to his back, but something was added.

Wings.

Shiro sat frozen, staring at the feathery wings. Wasn't this just the weirdest day ever?

Slowly, he turned back around, away from the wings. He ran his human hand across his face. "Stay calm, Shiro. You're just hallucinating, right?" He blinked a few times, then turned back to the wings. "Nope. Still there."

Shiro grabbed the edge of the rock to steady himself as he stood. His wings flared out, stretching in the morning sun.

The air was thin as Shiro looked over the valley. He was apparently on a mountain, the cool breeze ruffling the white tuft on his head and cooling the pain in his back. Everything seemed peaceful at the moment, as if the crash had never happened.

The crash.

Shiro strained his eyes to try and spot where the others had landed, only to find nothing.

In front of the mountain was a small valley, several crevices breaking up its surface. To his right was a large plateau, and to his left a dense forest with few clearings. Beyond it all was a crystalline ocean. The planet was strikingly similar to Earth, except in the fact that everything was brighter. The colors more full.

A rock tumbled past his feet, knocking him from his daze. He swiveled around, hands still gripping the rock.

What he didn't expect was to see a giant black lion with red wings, staring at him intently.

Paladin. A voice interrupted his thoughts.

Shiro would've stumbled backwards, if his grip on the stone wasn't so strong. His mouth hung open as he stared at his, what used to be mechanical, lion.

The lioness seemed to almost....smile? You should close your maw before flies get in.

Shiro obediently closed his mouth, seeming to be exasperated now more than shocked. Shaking his head, he muttered, "Why can't anything be simple for once?" He climbed atop his anchor rock, crossing his legs. "So, you are the black lion right?"

The lion merely shook her head up and down.

"Ok....Black." Shiro started awkwardly. "Where are we?"

I am....unsure.

Shiro sighed. Of course Black wouldn't know. She crashed just as well as he did.

We must find the other lions. Black reached out.

"And paladins." Shiro stated firmly. The lion nodded her approval as he rubbed the back of his neck. "I hope they're alright."

Black slowly got to her feet. Arching her back to stretch out. As do I. But we must get off this mountain first to find them.

Shiro followed her example and stood. "How will we get down? We don't have any rope."

A deep rumble came from black as she appeared to almost, laugh. Her wings unfurled and she used them to nudge his wings. Use these.

Eyes widening, Shiro held up his hands. "I can't do that. I'm not even supposed to have wings. These won't even support me."

Black stretched out her wings and crouched to take off. Stop doubting, and just fly!

She leapt off the rock, using her paws to grab onto her paladin and into the air. She climbed higher towards the clouds before she tossed the human into the air. Know that you can.

Shiro screamed. Being thrust into the sky without knowing how to fly would do that for you. He watched, helpless, as the ground rushed towards him.

This was it.

He was going to die.

Open your wings.

Black's voice entered his mind as he felt himself connect to her. His eyes opened and he saw through her eyes.

He could see himself plummeting towards the ground, and he knew he had to act.

Shiro opened his wings, immediately feeling the resistance wrench him upwards again.

His connection to Black dropped and he saw through his own eyes again. The wind rushed past his face, causing exhilaration to course through him.

Was he really flying?

Shiro pumped his wings, pulling up in the sky. Black swooped down to glide alongside him.

"This is incredible!" Shiro shouted. He turned to look at Black, causing his wings to dip. He caught himself with a yelp.

Black maneuvered herself underneath her paladin and watched as he landed on her back. They flew low above the valley, keeping a sharp eye out for the other members of Voltron.

Shiro gripped the silky fur on Black's back as she stiffened. I can sense someone below.

"Friend or foe?" Shiro questioned.

Again...I am unsure. Shiro could sense that Black was upset by this. The quintessence field must have interfered with our connections as well as our forms.

Shiro frowned. What was going on with this planet? How could quintessence change the very nature of a person, let alone a mechanical cat? "Lets go investigate. It could be one of the paladins."

Or a lion. Black hummed.

The black lion dove down towards the surface. She sensed the creature below one of the small crevices.

As she landed on top of the crevice, Shiro jumped off. Hoping beyond measure that it would be one of his friends.

One of his family.