The Calm

My deep breaths quickly morphed in ragged huffs as my mother forcefully yanked on the laces of my corset.

I squeezed my eyes shut as she gave one last tug before knotting it.

"My, you've grown so much." She cooed as she pinched my cheek. "All the mothers are going to be practically bidding on you for their sons."

"Thank you, mother," I smiled awkwardly as I tried to keep my back straight.

"But we all know you'll probably end up with the Black's eldest or the Crouch's son, Barty." She continued as she began sliding my blush pink dress on me.

"You will make sure to dance with them both, won't you?" She said expectantly.

"Of course, mother." I bowed slightly, even though I had already intended on spending every moment of the night with Sirius.

He was the only other person in this society who wasn't off their rocker.

"You have to continue the legacy of our family, Althea."

                 ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ

"Thea!" Sirius hollered as my family is announced. Once my mother nodded her approval, I quickly walked towards him.

He lifted my hand up and gently kissed it as I curtsied before him. His eyes glimmered mischievously as we kept up the act.

"And Joe has your summer fared, my dear sir?" I said poshly as I held back a giggle.

"The mosquitoes have been absolutely dreadful, I must admit." He threw a dramatic sigh my way.

"Are you nervous for tomorrow?" I looked off to the side to check for any adults.

"Quite worried, I must admit." He whispered softly. No one must know that Sirius Black possessed any emotion that wasn't a deadly sin. "But the idea of not being in Slytherin, of not being prodded over every moment, has my heart racing. Want to see?"

His eyes shone for a moment as he gently took my hand and placed it against his wrist. My fingers throbbed slightly from the steady pumping, but my heart was racing even more.

"Let's get out of this dusty party, what do you say?" I grinned.

                 ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ

"What house are you hoping for?" Sirius asked as he passed me one of the cupcakes we had nicked from the kitchen.

"Gryfindor." I whispered as I peeled the wrapper off, revealing the blood-red velvet. "I want to be brave enough to stand aside my parents, as opposed to before them."

"Me too," he nodded his head fervently. "I want them to understand there are other houses and that they're all good."

"They'll be happy, once we shift their viewpoint." I smiled slightly as I bit in. "They love us."

                 ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ

"Our children truly do fit like a puzzle, don't they, Theseus?" Orion grinned as they watched the children. "I'm sure Althea will grow into a worthy asset to our family, these next seven years."

"I agree," Theseus nodded. "Between us, Sirius is possibly the only pureblood I entrust my daughter with."

"And they'll have the most attractive children together," Calliope clasped her hands together as she watched her daughter waltz perfectly.