Chapter Three

It had been three days since the mysterious man dropped off the diamond ring at my door. Somehow I feel like he's watching me. I think I've stole a few glances of him when I was at the mall with Cassy. By the time I realised I was being followed, I'd turn around only to catch a glimpse of his leather jacket. I know it's a long shot but I think it was him. He hasn't tried to contact me, but I've tried to contact him. He won't text back or pick up his cellphone so I left a note on the package that was still outside my front door. That was yesterday. When I woke up today, the note was gone and replaced by another note.

          Keep the ring, love

          Now, I was certain that it wasn't a mistake, and I'm pretty sure Jerry from Algebra isn't playing tricks on me. I took the ring and put it in my jewelry box, and I put the note in the small package it came in. I decided to collect evidence. Everything he sends me goes into this box. Instead of thinking who the mystery man was, I decided to think about why he was watching me.

          He could work for my father.

          When I moved into my mothers house, my father sent two of his men to watch me. Apparently my mothers husband at the time, Jaspers father, was a convicted sex offender. After three weeks, my fathers security men went away, and I stayed away from Mr. Kane. When I moved out I was happy to be rid of him. He was always flirting with me.

          I don't know why men take orders from my father. Maybe he's got his own business or something. He never tells me anything. All he says is "I love you and don't spend all that money in one place." Seth loves my dad. I mean't my dads money.

          There is a dilemma.

          None of my fathers security men gave me anything, and none of them were allowed to talk to me.

          I thought about calling my dad, and asking him about it, but if I was wrong and mystery man didn't work for my father, my dad would become suspicious. It only takes a small amount of my safety being threatened to set my father off. That's why I haven't told him I live with Seth. I plan on it, but you know, I don't plan on telling him anytime soon. So I decided I wouldn't call him. Mystery man has been harmless so far. There's no reason to start trouble, especially if my father gets involved.

          Wait!

          Maybe it was Mr. Kane.

          "Miss Lynn." I looked over at my teacher.

          I smiled sheepishly. "Sorry."

          When the bell rang, I gathered up my stuff and went straight to my locker. I dodged the hungry teenagers and watched them hurry off to the cafeteria. I opened my locker, ready to throw my books in when something stopped me. I noticed there was a pink lily with a note attached to it. I leaned down halfway and dropped my books to the floor. I stood back up and picked up the flower by the stem.

          A relationship requires a lot of work and commitment.

          I read the note over. Why would he write that? We aren't in a - wait. Oh! He wants to be in a relationship with me? I took a step back and stared at my locker. How did he get in? I didn't tell anyone my code. I didn't see any signs of forced entry.

          I shook my head and decided to shut it out of my mind. I looked down the hallway. Nobody was here but me. I sighed, threw my books into my locker, put my lily in an inside pocket in my bag, and walked to the cafeteria. After I paid for my food, I went and sat down with my friends. I greeted them, and sat down next to Cassy.