Chapter 2

Oswald having now shaken the strange man went back to waiting for Jim.

It had been clear from their interaction that Edward wasn't on Maroni's payroll and seeking revenge, or looking to strong arm him, and he certainly wasn't some idealistic cop hoping to arrest him. With that knowledge Oswald once again felt comfortable remaining at the station.

Oswald felt a little foolish about how eager he was to see Jim's and his thoughts kept drifting to the handsome blonde and their budding friendship.

Oswald was aware of his small crush on the detective, however he is not foolish enough to let that influence his plans under the delusion he had a chance in hell. Jim was not only in a relationship but appeared to be completely straight. That of course didn't mean he couldn't indulge in a little harmless flirting and the occasional fantasy.

Oswald took great pride in slowly corrupting the idealistic detective and felt they could have a real friendship, once the detective started to realise and accept the ways of Gotham.

Oswald wanted to be the man Jim knew he could call on, and he hoped to be able to say the same for the detective. He figured they could both help each other reach their goals, as well as share in each others successes.

The sound of Jim's gruff voice interrupted Oswald's musings, and couldn't stop the eager smile which appeared on his face as he turned towards the detective.

"As dashingly handsome as ever"

As expected Jim made his way over to where he was waiting and Oswald couldn't help but notice the detective's blue suit and how it highlighted the blue of his eyes.

Oswald didn't understand why his thoughts flicked to Edward Nygma and his poor dress sense in comparison.

"If only the man dressed better. He would certainly turn some heads"

Oswald quickly shook that thought off as Jim reached him

"It's good to see you, old friend"

Jim appeared nervous about his presence, which Oswald had expected.

"What are you doing here".

It was all part and parcel of the charms of Jim Gordon, and Oswald knew not to take it personally. The threats, the harsh words and the denial, nothing but stubbornness and naivety. Not yet able to accept that he has already fallen and that the city can't be saved, well not in the way he wants it to be saved.

Oswald would persist and in time the detective would accepted the reality of the situation. Gotham doesn't have heroes, only villains, and if he just accepted their friendship for what it was they could do so much for Gotham together.

"I wanted to invite you to a party I'm hosting"

Oswald handed over the invitation and watched the conflict flash in Jim's expression

"No, thanks".

Oswald knew that Jim was struggling with the morality of working with a criminal. The man was practically played the martyr every time they crossed paths, but he had hoped Jim would at least entertain the idea of attending.

"I hear you. Too busy, I suppose."

The sting of Jim's refusal hitting Oswald hard, harder than he had expected as he had expected to have a better handle on his emotions.

A thought occurred to Oswald. Maybe Jim was actually too busy due to work, and that was in fact the real reason for refusing.

Oswald consider the facts, Jim had been away from his desk when he arrived, and he had spent some time waiting for the man to return. Perhaps he could help.