32: Lonely

December 25, 2039

42 days after (Y/N)'s comatose state

Rupert

"Rupert!"

I turned around from wrapping up my last box of goods, setting it to the side for the next day. The warehouse was full of work to do, but it was time for me to clock out.

The guy who called me was my co-worker, Vincent. His bright hazel eyes kindly peered into mine, as he jogged towards me.

"Yeah?" I blinked curiously.

"We all goin' out to get some barbecue for the holidays. I know you ain't gon' eat but you can still come chill with us," he smiled invitingly. "You new and everythin'. We need to get to know ya'!"

"Oh-" I blurted, but my train of thought was interrupted by a voice owned by a female. She goes by the name, Lola.

"Yeah, you should come with us!" She exclaimed excitedly, her bright blue eyes sparkled enthusiastically.

"Uhh..." I awkwardly trailed off, scratching the back of my neck. "I'm busy today. Sorry."

"That's fine," Vincent shrugged. He smiled cheekily before walking off, "see ya' tomorrow!"

I waved before he turned around, telling him good bye with my hands.

Lola stepped in front of me with her arms behind her back, grinning.

I blinked curiously at her grin.

"Why aren't you coming?" She asked.

"Oh, well-" She abruptly cut me off, hushing me with her fingers against my lips.

She smiled suggestively, stepping closer to me. I stepped back, only for my back to meet the wall, and she pinned me against it.

I gulped nervously as I watched her amused face, a devilish grin traced her red lips. She batted her long lashes, the smokey eye shadow covered her eyelids charcoal.

"Or do you want to just go out with me... alone?"

"S-sorry, Lola, I-"

She tiptoed to reach my height, her heavy perfume filled my nose, and it lingered longer than I wanted.

Her warm breath snaked on my neck, sticking to my skin, as she whispered seductively in my ears, "we can do something else if you want..."

I gulped.

I quickly grabbed her by the shoulders before she came any closer, shoving her gently away from me. I backed away steadily.

"I-I'm sorry, someone's waiting for me," I told her anxiously and ran off before she said anything.

...

I opened the door to (Y/N)'s hospital room eagerly, stepping into the empty, quiet space. I brushed the snow that made home on my shoulders off. They melted on the floor, and I walked towards the chair to sit on.

I held (Y/N)'s small hands in mine, smiling gently at her face.

She looked more pale than the last time I came to see her. Her lips were chapped, her skin has never looked so dry before. It pained me to see her like this.

But I smiled, hoping everyday for her recovery. Staying optimistic for her awakening.

"Good evening, (Y/N). Sorry I couldn't come for the past few weeks..." I grimaced at my own words.

I haven't seen her for at least three weeks now. I've been working two jobs, one in the morning, one at night.

Now she looked so much more worse than I remembered. It shattered my heart.

"I've been busy with work after the android curfew has been lifted. I know... excuses. I'm sorry..." I gritted my teeth, shameful of my own explanation.

She deserved better than that.

She'll always be top priority.

"I hope you forgive me," I pleaded, my eyebrows tugged down, begging. "I'm trying to make money to build you a greenhouse. I hope you'll wake up before spring rolls around..."

I squeezed her hands extremely cautiously, afraid her movement may break her stiff fingers.

"And I still owe you that dinner... remember?" I chuckled in the lonely room where (Y/N)'s soul rested.

Only my laughter bounced off the walls and around the room, alone.

I'd sacrifice anything to hear her laugh again.

So... make sure you come back... okay?...