Chapter 1:

She would sit and stare out of her window into the city. Naturally, the city ruckus embodied her thoughts and became normal to her.
Silence was a familiar friend only accompanied by honking cars and random people yelling. She got up to light a few candles in her bedroom, then she laid down staring at the ceiling.
It was 3am, and the city was alive.
She was contemplating if she was.
It never occurred to her to swim in her emotions, she was often preoccupied with the emotions of others. Though, at that moment, she felt herself drown rather than swim. The city stopped talking to her, it was only herself.
It wasn't silence, that she knew quite well. It was something else, something she didn't understand, she didn't want to. She had forgotten what it was like to encounter it once more, it had been a few years. Not enough though, not enough for her to have built and set boundaries for it. It was there, occupying her mind, her space, her eyes. She eventually let it happen, what's the point of fighting it?
There's a rush, then chills, all ended with the hated and avoided tears. She had to be strong, she wasn't really allowed to cry. She didn't let herself, even though she often did when she felt her emotions ganged up on her.

She woke up to the smell of burnt wicks and melted candles. She looked at her window and saw the neighboring buildings. Expecting and waiting for her usual view to appear.