Prologue

Prologue

The sound of the Bullhead and the sharp howl of wind fights to take priority in your ears. You stare out the side, staring out at the terrain as you fly past it.

"Alright kiddos," you shout, looking back in the Bullhead. There are two teams staring at you, team RWBY, consisting of Ruby Rose, Weiss Schnee, Blake Belladonna, and Yang Xiao Long, as well as team CMNE, consisting of Cinder Mercury Black, Neo, and Emerald Sustrai. You always thought it was strange that it was pronounced "Carmine" yet didn't have an "R," but you're not the one who makes up the team names. "You're all first years so we, the lovely and experienced team GRAE, will be guiding you through your first mission."

"Don't hype us up that much, (Y/N)," a female voice says in your ear.

"We have an intercom. Why are you using your Semblance?" You shout.

"And why do you get to sit with all those ladies? It's not fair," a separate voice asks.

You look to the right, checking out the second Bullhead flying parallel to yours. In there are three other students that you know too well. Robin, the sole girl of your team. She's extremely pretty and slender, though a tad tall. She constantly complains about it, but you always try to cheer her up. She's not taller than any of the guys in your team, but some of the others... well, she tries to hold it with pride now. Her long, gray, red, and white hair flows down onto her flowing gray coat that falls to her ankles. That coat covers her white shirt and orange tights. On her back is her two crossbows that're locked in place.

To her left is Azure, your big boy. He's in full armour, like a knight, and has a giant hammer on his back that can't even be retracted. He's not wearing his helmet this time around, letting everyone see his short blue hair and slightly chubby cheeks.

To the right is Eton, the "Prince Charming" of your little entourage, but with brown hair. It works either way. He's always described as the guy straight out of fairy tales, which gave him somewhat of an ego. Probably why he competes with you a lot. Despite this nickname, his clothing is likely the plainest of you all – donning only a blue hoodie and darker blue jeans. On his hands are his weapons, two blades that are currently in resting mode.

"Shut up, Eton," you wave. "You know I had to. Besides, good ol' Mercury is here to keep an eye on me," you place a hand on his shoulder. "Right?"

"As if," he chuckles, brushing you off.

"So, lets recap," you stand in place so everyone can look at you. "It's a basic seek and destroy. There's a ton of Grimm converging on this cave so we're going to clear them out and figure out what's attracting them. It could be some scared civies running from the Grimm, and if so we have to get them out of there. They'll be our top priority, got it?"

"Got it," everyone answers.

"Perfect. We'll keep the channel clear until we sit down. And NO CHIRPING, ROBIN!"

"Okay!" She whispers.

"Stop it!" You wail.

The two teams in your Bullhead chuckle.

"I don't know why you referred to this as our first mission," Cinder says, moving to your side and placing a hand on your shoulder. "We've done... a lot of things together."

"Yeah... but I haven't done those same things with everyone else," you joke, wrapping your hand around her waist. "I know you've all been on missions before, but they were practice ones. This is YOUR mission that we're providing back up on. You eight have been my teams for months now. I've got an investment, you know," you end with a smile.