chapter two : ''AND I LIKED THAT''

mellow talking; the parking lot cleared out in a matter of minutes, and a chorus of 'honks'. ginger wanted to watch a movie: the first time we'd be seen together and not on campus. ''hey!'' ginger shouted into the night's air, her breath floating above us is a thick fog. ''yeah you, come here'', my eyesight was a bit hazy from earlier, but i tried my best to make-out the figure approaching us. close, but still blurry, he was tall but not too tall, almost six-foot with room to grow, his shoulders were slumped, and he was breathing heavily. dark brown hair matted against his forehead, wet- . . . wet dog. ''good game'' ginger praised, wiping imaginary lint off the prominent orange varsity jacket. ''thanks'', he spoke. ''so jacob'', i averted my eyes quickly, staring at my converse. jesus ginger. jacob davis was situated in front of us while ginger heckled him for a free ride. ''so . . .'', she began, ''earlier today, in pe, you accidentally hit my friend violet here, in the head with a lacrosse ball, and knocked one of her teeth out''. she began, ''so, i would really appreciate it if you would give us a ride somewhere, a quid-pro-quo''. ''alright'', he looked defeated, which was reasonable, he just played an intense game of lacrosse for two hours whilst people two times his age were shouting at him to be better, do better.

      we got in his truck, an old bark-red toyota, him and ginger have a lot in common. "so, you like lacrosse?" ginger struck up a simple conversation, jacob, obviously exhausted left her hanging with the simple-minded reply : "yeah; i guess".

      jacob cruised around the town of ridgemont until he reached ginger's home. then it was just me and him, i curled in to the door, the coldness of the glass radiating against my right cheek. i gave him simple oral directions, and soon enough we arrived in front of my neglected lawn, jacob frowned at it. he placed his hand on the center console and sucked in a sharp breath. "did i really knock your tooth out?" he questioned. ''no'', i quietly reassured him. ''i thought so.'', we shared a laugh before the humor died out; ''goodnight,'' he bid as i opened the creaky door of his busted red vehicle, ''goodnight'', and for the first time, that night i had gazed into his eyes, in my mind, and when he spoke, i had made him out to have light eyes, hazel, possibly green, but as looked on, they were dark, almost as dark as the sky that hung above us beyond the protection of stars, almost black. and i liked that.