Commander Creep

After hours of shoveling, firebending and bucketing water overboard, the ship was freed, but not without damages. With a few days for sailing behind them, they made it to the first port they had seen in months.

     Hikari was excited. The day started with a beautiful sunrise, followed by the spotting of land. With the cold of the Southern Water Tribe a few days trip behind her, warm weather awaited. She was sure it would be a wonderful day. After all of the yelling she got from Zuko about helping the Avatar escape, being slow and other excuses he made to get at her, she was ready for this change.

     When they arrived at the port, the brunette felt...small. All of the other, supposedly, warships seemed to be at least three times bigger than their dinky little boat. It brought up a sudden thought that made her cringe.

     Was the Fire Lord trying to keep his son from finding the Avatar?

     The moment the ramp hit the dock, the girl skipped down, "Land ho!" When she got to the bottom, she tripped over thin air, scrapped the palms of her hands and landed on her face, "It seems to be that I've lost my land legs."

     "Hikari," Zuko stood behind her with Iroh to his left, "Get up."

     "Geez, you're probably grumpy from all the sleep you lost."

     He ignored her, "Uncle, I want the repairs made as quickly as possible. I don't want to stay too long and risk losing his trail."

     "You mean the Avatar," Iroh clarified.

     "Don't mention his name on these docks!" He made some wide arm movements, "Once word gets out that he's alive, every firebender will be out looking for him, and I don't want anyone getting in the way!"

     "Getting in the way of what, Prince Zuko?"

     Hikari had been standing and in the middle of dusting her clothes off when the voice interrupted. There was an older man standing in front of them. He had greying, brown hair, pulled back into a top knot like Iroh's. Creepily enough, he had the matching side burns as well. He wore red and black armor that almost matched the suit the prince had worn in his fight with the Avatar. His eyes were amber as well.

     To be totally honest, he creeped her out.

     The man walked over to the trio with his hands behind his back. Her friend waited for him with his arms crossed. So even the little, angsty boy did not like this new man? While he usually did not like anyone, this was a new bit of attitude being shown. It made her believe, all the more, that she needed to stay away.

     Zuko spoke with extreme distaste, "Captain Zhao."

     "Zhao" smirked, "It's commander now. And," He bowed to the elderly man, "General Iroh. Great hero of our nation."

     "Retired general," Iroh bowed back.

     "Oh!" The Commander approached her, "And who might your lovely companion be?" He took her hand and kissed the back of it, "I am Commander Zhao and I welcome you to my harbor."

     Hikari bowed back, "My name is Hikari." She sent him a glare, "And I don't like you."

     Her father figure lightly hit her shoulder, "Hikari, show the commander some respect! That was very rude."

     "He's flirting with me," she whispered harshly. "I don't take that lightly, especially from someone who's probably forty years older than me."

     The commander laughed, "Don't think anything of it, General. She has the spirit of the Fire Nation in her. It's refreshing to see in this time of war."