HUMBLE BEGINNINGS

There is this old saying, "Extraordinary things happen in the most ordinary day." "July, July!" a violent cry derived from Julia's room as she coughed severely.

July couldn't quite grasp the calling as he was still sleeping, to him all he heard was an extraneous noise. He abruptly woke up and ascended from his bed. "Damn it, I am late" he heaved a sigh, looking at a clock at the side of his bed.

"July...My...son..." the same voice hailed again from Julia's room but this time frailer. "Mother the pills and your water are beside the bed" he exclaimed to her as he hurried to the lavatory. He was awfully angry at himself. He couldn't afford to be expelled for another week. He had shown up late for two days now, and Richard High School's principal was quite known for intolerance.

Subsequently, July had finished and was ready to go. He said his farewell to his mother and stormed out. He was unfortunate to meet his father's body lying down by the gate.

Thoughts rushed to his mind, and he began to fear the worst; although this was to except from typical Derik. "Is he dead? Oh no, God help me" he whispered to himself as he came closer to the body. He quickly checked his heart and he was thankful that he was still alive.

He called for an ambulance and waited for it to arrive before he could set out to school. He tried by all means not to panic, but it wasn't every day you found your father's body in a dead or alive situation. He was not in conformity with the drinking of his father, nor did he understand his dad's sudden role as 'Mr nobody'. His face was red and so were his eyes, he knew sooner or later his dad's drinking would knock to the door, but he never expected it any time soon, especially after his mother's birthday.

It didn't take long for the ambulance to reach the scene. The driver, accompanied by his colleague came out from the noisy vehicle and carried Derik all the way to the back, and they drove off.

After his father was taken to the hospital, the worry about school began let alone Mrs Lawn the principal herself. "July, aren't you supposed to be at school?" a manly voice came from behind him.

"Yes, Malume Nkosi but something came up and my time was delayed. You will have to excuse me Malume I have to run" and he took off. "Wait a minute; it was Derik who was taken to the hospital. Isn't it?" Nkosi had asked, but July had long gone to alleviate the old man of his worry. Along the way, the thoughts of losing his father couldn't escape his mind.

He arrived at school an hour late and went uninterrupted to his class, fortunately for him the teachers were still in a meeting, but he knew he would be confronted later. In just a minute Miss Jones came in search of Simon.

"Simon dear, come; follow me" she u declared and walked out of the class. Simon just as everyone, was bemused by the call and on the other hand July was relieved he was not called. Although Simon was widely known for his belligerence, he was hardly called for it let alone paid for it.

This worried Frank and David a lot and they couldn't mask it. "Frank, could it be that the little boy from yesterday reported us" David whispered to him. "Shut up coward, he wouldn't dare" and as Frank reassured his friend, David was left with more questions.

He could not figure out the confidence in Frank's voice, but one thing he knew was that if Simon went down they were all going to follow.

Few moments later, Miss Jones came back and everyone could tell she was back for another student, judging by the look on her face. It didn't startle the class when she requested for July.

July who was already trembling got exceedingly nervous. However, Neo who was known better by the name 'the genius' appeared rather worried for him, she felt sorry for him. People always saw her for a petulant person se was, as she isolated herself from the rest. She had been curious of what was embedded behind July's silence, could it be he is shy, or maybe he is an introvert, but he sure seems hurt emotionally, is he adopted? These were some of the questions which ran the genius' mind almost insane.