02 | the mirror

The following events take place in Fifth Year before Dumbledore's army was established and as if Hermione didn't know what the Mirror Of Erised was.

"Malfoy come on, do we really have to do this?" Hermione sighed as her and Draco made their way down the hall.

"Obviously, I can't let anyone know what we're doing!" He shot back, speedily walking down the hall.

Hermione had been tutoring draco for the past week, and every night he insisted on finding another ridiculous location for them to study at. She understood that he didn't want anyone to find out about him actually needing tutoring but she didn't understand why they couldn't just go to the library and if anyone asked she'd just say they're doing work or something.

A few days before they were almost caught by Filch while they were losing in some broom closet, and to be honest she was starting to loose her patience.

"Do you even know were you're going?" She asked, scurrying behind him trying to catch up.

"I'll figure it out" He Replied back, she stopped in her tracks. He stopped once he realized she wasn't behind him.

"Granger come on!" He whisper yelled

"Absolutely not. If you haven't noticed we've been wondering around for thirty minutes!" She whisper yelled back, she looked around.

Draco mumbled angrily to himself and leaned against a nearby wall.

"Well what now" he grumbled, "we need a place to study"

Suddenly as he said that, the wall he was leaning against started to move.

Draco jumped back and him and Hermione examined the entrance.

Hermione bravely stepped in.

"Granger are you sure this is safe?" He asked

"Probably" she replied and walked further in to see a well furnished room.

The walls were aligned with Slytherin and Gryffindor cloth, some bookshelves in the corners and multiple luxurious couches also Slytherin and Gryffindor themed.

There was a fireplace in the center, nearby there being a long white rug. Multiple colored flowers and plants were there too.

And in the front of the room there seemed to be a mirror.

She was perplexed and walked closer to examine it.

There were scribbling in it that read, "Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi."

She wondered what it could mean.

"What is it?" Draco asked, stepping closer to her.

"I don't know.." she said as they were now both looking directly in front of the mirror.

All they saw was their reflections. Except it seemed kind of off for some reason..

Draco scoffed, "well that's a first, when do you not know about something"

She rolled her eyes and hit him across the chest.

Well I guess we should get to work.

•••

The next day Hermione was still wondering about the mirror. What if meant, what it was. Everything.

So she went to the library.

She'd spend most of her Saturday in there reading and looking for books on the mirror but couldn't find anything. Soon it was almost time for lunch and she'd decided that she'd ask harry and Ron about it before checking the restricted section.

"Hey guys" she prompted, "do you know about that one mirror in the castle"

"What mirror? There's a lot of mirrors here Hermione be more specific." Ron spoke, trying to eat his chicken.

"It was like— it had some sort of scribblings on it. I don't know what it said" she sighed, and looked to harry, "I stumbled upon it the other day in this weird room.."

Harry looked up, "I think I know what you're talking about" he said and started describing the mirror she was talking about.

"Yes exactly!" She almost yelled when she'd realized they were talking about the same object

Harry then went into a ramble about the mirror, Hermione clinging on to everything he said.

"It shows you your deepest desire, something that you really really want pretty much." Harry had said.

She'd thought back on what she'd seen. She didn't see anything peculiar, just her and Draco's.. reflections..

The realization instantly hit her like a truck and she'd turned cold.

The color must have rushed out her face because Harry asked what was wrong.

She turned her head to the Slytherin table to find Draco staring back at her, but not before he quickly turned his head and pretended like he wasn't doing anything.

"Hermione?" Ron waved his hand in front of Hermione's face.

"What— What was it that you saw?" Harry asked.

"D-Draco"