3

We set up the board game quietly and decided that we both should share the role of banker. I was quiet as we played only speaking when needed. Just a little longer, let's give the police a week at most. I can last a week here, it doesn't seem too bad. I'm fortunate enough to have a kidnapper that feeds me. Unless he murders me. He doesn't seem to be the type to murder but anything could happen. I tried to continue the game but the thought of murder was drastically distracting me.

"Are you going to murder me?" I blurted out, staring Joel in the eyes. Joel seemed to be shocked by my question, after a second he set down the property cards in his hands.

"Charley," He reached out for my hands, so as to not anger him I fit mine in between him. "I'm not going to hurt you, I know it's tough now but you will soon enjoy living with me."

I attempted to pull my hands back but he only held them tighter. This caused me to tug harder, which in turn made him move his hands to my wrist and hold them still. His grip tightened and although I was trying to be strong I glanced up at him in fear he might snap my wrist. I caught him staring down at me but as soon as our eyes met he dropped my hands. I instantly put them in my lap then grabbed my cards.

"Snake eyes, you go again." I muttered trying not to cause an uproar. Joel stared at me for a second longer before continuing his play. I regretted speaking up and although I couldn't trust him I don't believe he has a plan to murder me soon, or before I'm rescued at least.

I can imagine my mother, running around the police station yelling profanities at the officers. I could see her running to the bank and grabbing thousands of dollars and paying anyone and everyone who promised they could find me. John would be letting her do whatever she wanted while using his own money and hiring the best private detective to find me.

We finished monopoly without another hitch, him beating me by a landslide. I picked up the game like he told me to and placed it neatly on the counter. Joel started to make dinner and gave me small duties, shredding carrots, peeling garlic, and finally cutting the green onions. When Joel set up the cutting board and knife neatly in the corner next to him I didn't think much of it until I started chopping.

He would trust me with a knife? A knife, I could murder him right now. Joel stood beside me cooking the chicken in a pan. I could stop cutting, turn and just stab him. He would bleed out and I would be free. I would be free....

I stopped cutting all together and paused for a second. Suddenly screaming I lift the knife and jam it forward into Joel's direction. My knife wasn't able to get far due a pan being thrown in my direction. I cried out at the burning bottom of the pan being slammed against the top of my forehead. The knife dropped from my hand and toppled to the floor as did I. Landing on my forearms I reached for the left side of my scalp, feeling like my head was on fire.

I let out a guttural cry as Joel tackled me back, his hands grasping my throat. My hands left my head and started to hit back at Joel's arms. I could see his veins bulging as he turned dark red. I tried to reach up and scratch his face if not push it away. With the lack of air my body started to give out, my hands went to his and I laid there attempting to pry him off me.

I felt liquid start to leak from my nose and in protest all I could do was stare at Joel in hope of his help. Joel stared at me until his eyes trailed down to the lower half of my face then his hands. Suddenly he gasped and shoved himself away from me. I could hear him hyperventilating over my coughing fits. I gasped for air and turned onto my stomach, my hand went up to my nose and wiped at the mystery liquid. I looked at my blurry hand and saw red staining my skin, I wasn't sure of how to react.

I felt Joel grab my upper arm and twist me around lifting me in the air. I was unable to do anything to stop him, my legs dangling fully capable of kicking out but somewhere inside I was too afraid. "Charley,... I trusted you." He growled at me, his head looking to the floor. I was unable to speak at this point. Joel set me down on the couch and grabbed my head. I gasped at his tender touch with me, he studied my head then let go and walked away.

I knew I was hurt but was unsure of how bad, my fingers went to feel but as soon as I grazed the skin I hissed in pain. When Joel came back he had a tub of medical supplies with him. I placed my hands in my lap and stared straight ahead. What went wrong? How did this ever go wrong? I was going to kill him, I had the upper hand, I had the knife. I had the knife. I let a tear fall down my face, god that was my only chance.

Joel wiped the tear from my cheek gently with his thumb, his hand lingering along my face for a second longer. "You said you would never hurt me," I spoke up finally as he bandaged my head.

"You were bad, you brought your punishment upon yourself." Joel held my chin in his hand forcing me to look him in the eye.

I brought this upon myself.

Once Joel was done bandaging me he brought me back to my room and locked the door. The meer fact that he locked it made me go up and kick it twice.

"I hate you!" I screamed, throwing myself on the bed. I sobbed into my arms desperate for my mother, for home. Desperate to be free again.

I stared at myself in the mirror, my eyes were swollen and red. There was residue blood under my nose and my bandage on my head was unpeeling the slightest bit. I put it back down and took out the scrunchie in my hair. I crawled into the bed and tried my best to fall asleep, hoping that when I woke the police would have found me. 

Updated as of: July 11, 2020