Chapter One

The gentle sounds of water falling in the distance filled the quiet, stilled air. Before you stood a vast crowd, people from all over your home planet watching in awe. With the soft chirps of the native birds flying overhead and the peaceful breeze that echoed amongst the tall trees, you sucked in a small breath as you felt the cold, gold headpiece rest along your hairline. "Your newly crowned queen of Thara IV!"

Suddenly, the roar of the crowd erupted with waves of claps and cheers, terrifying the distant animals into running towards the forest. A wide grin grew on your lips as you stood before your people, dressed in the finest of jewelry and materials that made up your attire. The people watched you in awe, crying and weeping, yelling and exclaiming. You were their ruler now. Their leader.

Removing the crown was a no-no... at least, to you. You wouldn't dare take it off of your head, not even to sleep.

You were beyond proud of yourself, coming this far, claiming the throne as your own... ruling your home planet. A dream come true and here you were, taking the stage.

The moment you left the balcony of your coronation, having a celebratory dinner and a ball, you soon found yourself easing into sleep. You were exhausted, the day being long and the build up to it being even longer. The excitement and your jumpy nerves had drained you and nothing seemed more appealing than resting in the largest room with the largest bed that was meant for Thara IV's rulers.

Ruler.

You.

You were bundled up, the cold weather of the evening fading in as you wore your thin nightgown, hugged by your thick quilt that rested just under your nose—and your crown? Still on your head.

So what? You had pride in your accomplishment. Nothing was wrong with that.

And... you were young. Only in your twenties and achieving something so... immense. You couldn't help but keep it on... even if it wasn't a wise move when it came to comfort.

All the past rulers before you started around the same age and lasted well into their... 80's, even 90's—if that. And you planned on ruling until your last breath. You were a born leader and you were born for this.

But, others opposed this idea. Those who lurked in the shadows and despised you—and the rest of your house.

It was silent, much too silent in the evening. The only sounds were the rustling of the wind as they cooed through the night. The air dropped increasingly in temperature and your eyebrows narrowed. Normally, the palace kept the temperature at a neutral degree so it wasn't too cold nor too hot... but now? Now you were freezing.

Reaching for your blanket, your fingers came into contact with something... cold and wet. Then, your senses kicked in.

Forcing your eyes open, you gasped. You were stranded. You were in the middle of nowhere amongst the snow in your sleepwear.

Panicking, you blinked a few times, in hopes it was a nightmare... but when you reached up to your head and no longer felt your crown but a sudden headache, your heart broke into a race. Where were you? And why were you no longer in your own bedroom? Let alone, the palace?

Scrambling to your feet, trembling at the lack of coverage with only your nightgown on, your teeth chattered. You were near a cliff, the view overlooking snow coated tree tops and the very distant city that held your palace. You knew you were out of luck, you wouldn't survive trying to walk back. Not in your lack of attire and lack of shoes.

Taking in a deep breath, trying to steady your racing heart and uneven breathing that burned your lungs, you clutched your nightgown as you stood there, trying to figure out who or what could've done this to you.