Chapter 3 - Part 2

"You're looking for a thrill," he said with a challenging look. She frowned while she digested his evaluation. "That's the only reason you'd be standing on a ledge like you did yesterday, if it wasn't to hurt yourself."

Her frown deepened. She wanted to argue but there was some truth to what he was saying.

"I can help you," he added, his eyes holding hers intently.

As if, she scoffed internally. So far, he had only complicated her life into a mess she still had to sort out. She wasn't even sure she would be able to smooth things out with Logan.

"I don't think that's a good idea." She adjusted her school bag over her shoulder. "Your minute is up and I need to get to class."

Spending any more time with him was something she knew would only cause more problems for her. Even if he had figured out her true purpose for what she did, what was there that he could do to help? Convinced there wasn't anything, she walked away without allowing him to argue, intent on forgetting the whole conversation.

Over the next hour, when her thoughts inexplicitly drifted to Maddox, she made a concerted effort to move her mind onto something else. There was no way to explain why he wanted to help her or even why he felt he could.

Maddox Larson had a reputation with girls. He dated extensively, if you could call what he did with girls "dating." Honestly, he was more like a "couple of dates" type of guy, flitting from one girl to another. Rumor was he was dating a girl in college.

Nothing she knew about him explained why he believed he could help her or even why he would want to. He didn't know her. Besides, how could he hope to know how to sort her life out when he couldn't even seem to keep himself out of trouble?

Just before she walked to the school cafeteria, she finally remembered to message Sally to find out if she was okay. There was no sign of Logan inside the cafeteria, and she found Diane sitting alone at their usual spot. She was quietly staring down at her lunch.

"It can't be that bad," Ashley said, trying to tease her friend when she approached her. She could tell by the slump of her shoulders she was still thinking about Noah and their breakup. The asshole was two tables away, chatting to his friends like nothing was wrong. Why was he acting like that? And her friend was heartbroken and struggling.

"He won't even look at me," Diane murmured, with the fresh heartache written across her pained expression.

"What happened?" Ashley asked softly, needing more information about what caused their breakup.

"It was the usual 'it's me and not you' speech," her friend revealed, sneaking a side glance to his table. But his sole concentration was fixed on his friends and he was laughing like he didn't have a care in the world.

Ashley had an urge to walk over to him and dump the contents of her soda over his head. But she glared at him instead. Why couldn't he at least look a little upset? Asshole.

"Some guys aren't worth it," Ashley murmured, knowing it sounded cliche.

"I really thought he was the one," Diane whispered hoarsely, and the dread in Ashley's chest bloomed and spread.

Ashley shifted closer to cover one of Diane's hands with hers. She knew what was coming next was going to be worse than she had first believed, and she felt out of place in a situation Sally would usually handle. Sally always knew what to say.

"What happened?" she asked, venturing into unknown territory. Sally wasn't here, so she had to do what she could.

Diane gulped and pulled her hand to rest it in her lap. "I thought I was special." Her friend refused to look her straight in the eye.