T H R E E

"You got suspended?"

Malfoy's voice, normally so calm and collected, was shrill and thick with shock.

Harry smirked wryly at him. "Only for the rest of the day."

"But why?"

Here Harry had to laugh, even though his own embarrassment warred with the amusement. Malfoy raised a perfect eyebrow at him expectantly. "I punched Dawlish in the face."

He was met with silence. Malfoy just stared at him. Then, he said, "But why?"

"...Because he said you were scum and that you spent your time torturing muggles." Harry was almost afraid by the sudden rise of anger in Malfoy's eyes. "And I thought it was wrong. He, uh, can't treat you like that."

Malfoy still looked furious. It was an almost exciting thing to see emotion in his eyes again.

"Don't worry, Dawlish was suspended for two months for 'inappropriate, unprofessional and prejudiced comments towards a colleague'. Dawlish is a prat, so... he deserved it." Silence followed his words, and Harry glanced back over to see Malfoy with a peculiar expression on his face. He looked to be biting the inside of hismouth hard and his face was slowly gaining colour.

And then suddenly, Malfoy burst out laughing. He bent double over his desk, and Harry had to chuckle at the violent shaking of his shoulders and at his clear amusement. Malfoy straightened again and Harry snorted at his red his face was. Malfoy grinned at him, completely unexpectedly.

"Well damn, Potter."