Chapter 21

I smiled at the moose, marveling at how tall he had gotten in the past six years that I'd been gone. "I-uh, Amberly. Wow. It's nice to ah, see you a-again." He stuttered. I struggled not to laugh at him. 

Dean came up behind me and wrapped a hand around my waist, introducing me as his newly wed wife to the officers Sam was speaking with. I struggled not to roll my eyes and instead plastered a fake smile on my face, trying to look happy-ish. 

"Amberly, meet Officer Olson." He said. "He's the main officer in this case, and I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of him as the it goes on." He winked at the officer, who blushed apparently, so obviously he's gay.

I read him quick as a book, figuring out that he comes from the richer part of town, but the way that he slouched signified that he had some weight on his shoulders, probably from hiding his sexuality from his parents or something. 

"Hey guys?" I asked quietly, interrupting the chat they were having. "Do you mind if we get to the body now? We're kind of at a crime scene." Dean nodded and un-snaked his arm from around my waist slowly, planting a kiss on my cheek.

I wasn't sure why, but it nearly brought a blush to my face. I tried hard to fight it, and nearly succeeded, but Sam caught me, and sent a knowing smirk my way before brushing the hair out of his eyes and walking away towards the body.

I followed shortly thereafter, walking back over to the body and crouching down low to get a good look at it. It, sorry, she, was covered in cuts and slashes that ran over her entire body, leaving nothing to the imagination. I could see her torn heart from where I was, and that was something I did not need to see just then.

¨So, ah... Looks like the cause of death is gonna be that head wound there,¨ said the coroner, pointing to her smashed skull. ¨And then the rest of this was actually post-mortem, like the killer was trying to tell us something. I'm not sure what, exactly, but I suppose we'll find out soon, huh?¨ He finished. 

Looking over at him, he was a greasy old man, but he clearly knew what he was doing. Our eyes met and he winked, pushing up his glasses. I shuddered, and Dean spoke calmly. 

¨So, are you saying that there's gonna be another murder like this one?¨ He asked. The greasy coroner nodded and stood up, removing and throwing away his gloves, despite the fact that he didn't touch anything. 

¨Well then, I guess we better get back to the motel and do some research, then, huh Sammy?¨ He said, grinning widely. 

***

They dragged me into their hotel room, which was, ironically, right across the hall from mine, as though the woman at the front desk knew that we would be meeting up. Sam got straight to work, trying to figure out who was doing this, but Dean just sat down, beer in his hand, and stared at me.

Now, I looked a bit different from six years prior. For one thing, my hair was a hell of a lot longer, and my vision had steadily decreased enough for me to need glasses, a fact that baffled Dean. I pushed them up the bridge of my nose, no longer wanting to wear my uncomfortable contacts.

It was an awkward situation, but I tried my best to ignore Dean and concentrate on the hunt, and whatever Sam was saying. ¨So get this. Apparently, this is the work of Krylovar, an ancient Celtic god who loved to take a person fitting the categories of each of the seven deadly sins and chop them up. Judith was lust, cause, you know, stripper. ¨ He said, out of breath.

¨And there was another one too, one that they tried to cover up. Bethany Pierson, a drifter. She was just passing through, and got all pissy at one of the bartenders over at the Drunken Clam. She stumbled out, never seen again, blah blah blah, until they found her body, exactly the same way as Judith here. Same wounds, same everything. She was wrath.¨Sam finished.