Chapter Eight

Seyi stared for some seconds before settling down beside me. It was like he was waiting for something.

"Good morning."

"Good morning."

I turned back to my phone but the crackling of a biscuit wrapper drew me out. Granted, I wasn't really doing anything serious. He was with a large packet of chocolate flavored biscuits. A pen was twirling in his lean fingers.

He was pretty. Dark coloured lips, long lashes, and soft looking hair.

"Your hair looks soft." I rested my head on my elbow positioned so that I could look at him. 

"It isn't really. You can touch it."

"Nevermind. It does look soft."

" Yours too. Can I touch it? "

"Sure."

He touched it but said nothing. Just leaned in closer - for whatever reason. Almost like he was planning something. Let me be clear: we weren't close enough to kiss or anything- unless someone was far away. 

It was confirmed when someone came into the class, frozen at the door with wide eyes.

"What are you up to?"

"Imagine it as a publicity stunt." He replied while maintaining the position.

"I don't want to be a publicity stunt in a school of snobby rich kids."

"You are a snobby rich kid."

"Don't bring me into anything. I want peace in my life."

"Chill,'' he said with a laugh.

"To be honest, boundaries boy. "

He huffed. "I'm in a relationship. They know. Well, it was."

He picked a biscuit." Old things pass away." 

He put on a smile and I looked away quickly. It reminded me of Chris. That kept me quiet and classes didn't start. 

Becklyn slammed her hands on Seyi's desk. "Seyi, Seyi. Started your whoring activities have you?"

He put the half eaten biscuit down." What now? "

"You didn't allow the heat of-." He stood up abruptly and clamped her mouth with his hand.

"Guy- what's your own?" He hissed.

She removed his hand and huffed. "It is hardly any secret, darling- well, it is to her." She gave me a side glance.

The bell rang for lunch, I picked my bag and left. Seyi glared at her as she giggled. I half expected him to punch her because of his expression and clenched fists. 

Eyes followed me throughout lunch. They didn't even bother to hide their stares. Hushed whispers and muffled giggles made me uncomfortable. I couldn't eat much so I grabbed a box of yogurt and cracked from the snack bar.

A table in particular forfeited eating to stare. The occupants of the table were pretty. A girl stood out particularly. The school beret perched on curly brown hair. Her face was well-defined and smooth. Slim shoulders encased in the black turtle neck uniform top. Tall legs crossed under the table but her black loafers were peaking out. Pretty. 

We both met each other's eyes and she smirked. I looked away and opened the bag to remove my notebook and began doodling in it. The bell rang signifying the end of lunch. I headed to the bathroom first to check my appearance before rushing back to class.

My pen fell from the side pocket of my bag and I squatted to pick it up. The ground was wet. The water was dripping from my desk. I carefully opened it and water poured out. A shriek was heard but I was distracted by the flier coming out of the desk. The very one I threw earlier. 

I wondered what was the meaning of this. Seyi wasn't in class so I sat at his desk. I was so embarrassed. I was the only one sitting in that entire row as everyone decided to move elsewhere. Seyi didn't return so I got comfortable.. I had some revision papers from the dean for my entrance exams . Funny why I was allowed and even given a uniform, just not allowed into their compulsory boarding facility. I was grateful for stuffing them in my bag during the awkward conversation Becklyn tried to include me in.

Focus Ang- Focus Koko. Let it go.

I flipped through the papers silently ignoring the splashes of water near my shoes. The noise in the classroom quieted down due to most students favoring outside for whatever conversation they were having. I was called to the dean's office thirty minutes later. 

"Miss Amai, I'd like to inform you that your entrance examinations will be held by the end of next week. Thursday to be precise. You must prepare adequately as no extra chances will be given. You joining the graduating class this late is an anomaly itself."

"I understand."

"Very well then. You may leave the premises after you get your things." 

"Thank you."

I spent the remainder of the school hour in the library. Francesca was already waiting. I greeted and sat behind. As we drove past, I saw Seyi laughing with his friends. He didn't see me so I didn't bother to wave.

I didn't eat dinner with Francesca. I just gorged on snacks I had kept in my room. On a whim, I decided to study, so I went to my bag to get the papers. I saw the flier again. This time it was dry. I decided to give up on ignoring it.

It was simple with a message and a large QR code in the middle.

ICOUS HIGH MINI BLOG

INFORMATION CAN NEVER BE TOO MUCH!

Join to get updates about school.

You'll need it. 

Weird.

But did that stop me from scanning it? No.

The website was inviting with pastel templates. I clicked on the Posts section, and the most recent was from that afternoon. I went through some even though I didn't get the gist. Till I saw Seyi's name that is.

Just In: Tampa is allowed back. Foul play or nah?

I was curious about the comments but I quickly shot the thought down. I best mind my business the last time I didn't, I almost died. 

Curiosity kills the cat.

Then I remembered Seyi's smile.

Chris. 

No. Not now. Tears had already slipped.