Epilogue

"Pardon?"

      "I said you owe me ten pounds!" Emma stared at him in disbelief with wide eyes and a small smirk lifting onto her face.

      "There is no way in hell," she exclaimed before jumping up from her desk and walking up to him. Millard nodded, his cap bobbing in the air. Emma shook her head and reached into the pocket of her dress and counted out his pay, shoving it in his hand while still shaking her head. Millard had always knew there was something going on between the tow; only he noticed the small smiles they gave each other or the way they would sneak glances at one another. It was pretty obvious to him. But to the other children, not so much.

      "Right now. In the basement. Kissing," he said hastily. Emma's already wide eyes looked as if they were ready to pop out at any moment. Her hand practically flew to her mouth. Millard's smile grew as he turned around and opened the door, but Emma's hand on his shoulder stopped him.

      "Where are you going?" She inquired with her eyebrows raised. Millard rolled his eyes but sighed and looked at her.

      "Well nowhere now," he said. Emma mirrored his expression.

      "Seriously," she asked.

      "I was gonna tell Hugh," Millard admitted with a smirk. He went to walk back out of the room but Emma scoffed and grabbed his shoulder and turned him to face her. Her eyes were still the size of saucers.

      "You can't tell anyone! Horace and Enoch wouldn't want that," she pleaded, imagining Horace freaking out and Enoch tackling Millard to the floor. As much as it would probably entertain the other children, she would feel terrible. Besides, when they wanted to
tell the others, they would, right?

      Millard smirked and shrugged her hand off of his shoulder before sighing dramatically.

      "Fine," he whined. She stared at him skeptically, knowing he was contemplating telling Hugh. They looked at each other with their eyebrows raised before Millard took off  out the door, slamming it behind it. He couldn't stop himself from snickering as he ran to Hugh's room.

      But Hugh wasn't in his room. And he certainly didn't need Millard to tell him about Enoch and Horace.

      "Do you think he actually liked it?" Fiona asked while twirling her finger around the stem of a daisy. Hugh put her arm around her with his other hand in his pocket and smiled.

      "Of course he did." The soft rustle of wind against trees soothed their ears as they walked around the courtyard. She smiled thankfully up at him with her big soft eyes before Hugh gently kissed her on her forehead, making her giggle. Fiona had spent hours looking up different types of flowers just to find the perfect one that she knew Enoch would love. He never came off as a flower-lover type of guy, but Fiona thought it would be more meaningful than any of the past gifts she had gotten him. She never thought she was very good at gift-giving, but little did she know, all of the children loved anything she gave them. Hugh simply admired how much she cared for all of the others. 

      "We should head back, I expect Miss Peregrine would like us to help with lunch," he told her. Fiona nodded sadly, wishing the moment could carry on. She loved being able to spend time with her boyfriend like this, but he was right. Fiona sighed and turned around, her hand still in Hugh's. He hummed to himself with a slight smile plastered on his face, just enjoying Fiona's pre-

      "No, I loved it, Horace," Enoch's cockney accent rang from behind a nearby hedge. The two stopped in their tracks and looked at one another with their eyebrows raised. What would Horace and Enoch be doing alone in the courtyard? Fiona put her finger up to her mouth as if sayin, "hush," with a smirk. What must she be smirking about?