Pirate!Au

(Harley Quinn x Poison Ivy)

Harley was leaning over the side of the deck, the sea breeze playing with her hair as she looked for the merchant ship Selina had spied five minutes ago. All she could see was the calm, wide ocean in the brilliant blue she adored.
Harley stepped away from the edge, checking the pink and blue ribbons were still secured in the braids that tied her hair away from her face. The rest of her hair flowed free in golden waves, smelling of salt and freedom. She climbed up the rope  and bamboo ladder secured to the tallest of the three masts of the ship.
In the crows nest was Selina, her short dark hair blowing in the wind, her tight leather trousers and loose thick satin shirt warm in the sea air. There was a leather belt laced up at the front cinching her shirt at her waist, and a heavy silver chain with a sapphire on it around her neck. Her pale slender fingers sparkled with sliver rings, pearls and crystals - the spoils of a lifetime of thievery and piracy.
"Hey Kitty," Harley called, climbing into the crows nest. Selina turned to see her, holding a golden telescope in her hands. "Seen any ships?"
Selina nodded. "There," she said, pointing out to the horizon. She passed the telescope over to Harley, hopping onto the edge of the wooden crows nest. She perched there, tightening the laces of her knee high leather boots.
Harley lifted the telescope up to her eye, scanning the sea. Selina was right - there was a large ship with brightly coloured sails steadily heading towards them. Harley smirked.
"You're good, Kitty."
Selina leaned over and plucked the telescope out of Harley's hands. "I'm the best."
Harley shook her head, leaning out of the crows nest and grabbing one of the ropes securing the sail. "See you down in ten, Kitty."
Harley swung down, her hands clutching the rope until she dropped onto the the deck. The loose brown leather of her boots flapped as she walked her way to the back of the ship, the sea wind playing with the leather of her trousers and oversized red silk shirt.
Zatanna stood at the back of the ship, wearing a white cotton shirt, a tight black silk waistcoat, dark blue petticoats and heeled boots. Her long dark hair fluttered in the wind and her grey eyes were set on the sea. Her hands were on the steering wheel, moving their ship to intersect the merchant ship.
"Hey," Harley called, bouncing around the back of the ship. She leaned over the deck, spinning to grab a cutlass from a barrel and stopping behind Zatanna.
"You ready for the battle?" Harley asked, standing up on her toes to lean over Zatanna's shoulder.
Zatanna rolled her eyes. "You always get too pumped before a battle. It makes you sloppy."
"It does not!" Harley said indignantly, pouting. She tugged up the hem of her shirt to check her knives were still in her waistband, before moving to stand in front of Zatanna.
Zatanna rolled her eyes. "Whatever. Go downstairs and tell the others to weapon up. This ship had better be loaded."
Harley smirked wickedly. "Oh, it will be."

Under the deck of the ship was chaos. Beds and hammocks mingled with swords, cannons, food and jewellery. The air was thick, with dust dancing in the patches of sunlight shining through from above.
Harley pushed her way through the chaos to where Kate was sitting. Her scarlet shock of hair was glowing in the sunlight, and her black dress was cut at the knees for better mobility. The bodice of her dress had a red bat silhouette stitched onto it. She was polishing her throwing stars, a grappling hook curled up on her narrow bed next to her.
"We're moving in five. Kitty says it's going to be good."
"Excellent," Kate smiled, grabbing the club lying on the floor by her bed. "Maggie, we've got a ship!"
Maggie lifted her head from the battered newspaper she was reading. "Finally! If I read this for another second, I'll die from incompetence!"
Harley looked down at Kate as Maggie shrugged a jacket on over her pastel blue shirt and darker trousers. "Is she still fuming about the police?"
Kate nodded, gazing lovingly at Maggie. "Yes. But I'd be disappointed if she wasn't."
Harley shook her head. She'd never understand the two of them.
Harley climbed back up onto the deck, crossing to the prow of the ship. Their figurehead was a woman in metal corset-like armour, with wild dark hair held back by a golden crown. She had a golden lasso and a sword, and sandals on her feet. Harley always felt more powerful standing next to her.
At the prow stood a girl in a light blue dress with a red and yellow S painted on the back of her bodice. Her blonde hair fluttered in the wind, her blue eyes fixed on the horizon.
Harley joined her, watching the merchant ship approach. "You ready, Kara?"
Kara smiled. "Always."