twelve

✳︎

✳︎

"Run!" Peter's voice was urgent, pressing. Unfortunately, given the circumstances, they really couldn't run all too fast. A sickening crack sounded as the wolves leaped down, off the waterfall and onto the ice. Maugrim was there within seconds, one of his henchmen holding down Beaver with a sharp-clawed paw.

Maugrim approached Peter slowly, his paws barely making a sound as he whispered across the ice. His eyes had a murderous glint to them. Phoebe understood now why the Witch had chosen wolves as her secret police - they truly were terrifying creatures.

"No!" Mrs. Beaver's cries fell upon deaf ears. It seemed the wolves really didn't plan on releasing Beaver until they got what they wanted. Them. Phoebe and the Pevensies. Although, Phoebe still didn't quite understand why they'd want her. Maybe she was just the backup in case Susan or Lucy didn't make it. She shuddered at the thought of losing either of the girls.

Peter drew his sword, the shrill scrape of metal drawing everyone's attention. The wolves' ears perked up, and Phoebe's gaze flashed to Peter. Susan and Lucy almost looked afraid of their own brother. Phoebe could see in his stance that he was afraid, but he seemed determined. Maugrim, despite being the target of Peter's blade, didn't exactly seem perturbed by the possibility of his death. No, instead, he laughed.

"Put that thing down, boy. Someone might get hurt if you're foolish enough to use it." Maugrim's voice was just as deep as Phoebe remembered, but all the more chilling from this close a range. Peter's hands trembled slightly, the blade of his sword wobbling.

"Don't - ugh - worry about me, Peter! Run 'im through! Gut him!" Beaver was struggling - although in vain - against the wolf's hold, and Phoebe's eyes flashed briefly to him. The wolf holding him looked rather frustrated by the valiant nature of his prey.

"Hush, hush, Beaver." Maugrim waved a paw at him, and if anything the brown creature began struggling even more. He clearly didn't take kindly to being told to 'hush'. "If you leave now while you can, Son of Adam, your brother leaves with you. He's doing very well in the Queen's cells, if you were wondering." Maugrim grinned, although it seemed more like he was trying to bare his teeth.

"Peter! Peter, maybe we should listen to him! Peter, stop!" Susan's voice was run through with desperation as she held Lucy tightly to her chest. Lucy's eyes were flashing back and forth over the scene in front of her, not unlike the way she'd looked between Phoebe and Peter when they'd fought.

"Your sister is a smart girl, son of Adam. The Queen would like her." Peter was angry now. Phoebe could see it in the set of his shoulders, the way he was clutching the sword hard enough to turn his knuckles white.

"Don't listen to him and his false Queen! Kill him! Peter! Kill him now!" Beaver's voice sounded so unlike him, so filled with rage, that it almost scared Phoebe more than Maugrim had. Almost. The wolf holding Beaver simply chuckled and pushed him harder into the already cracking ice.