Chapter 5

hapter 5

In her dreams, she sees a familiar person. He is tall, muscled, good-looking with eyes that shine with purpose. When she realized belatedly that he is asking her a question, she hurriedly stops her swooning and catches his last words. “… what do you intend to do when you are back from your travels?”

She tightens her hold on the bag over her shoulder and tries to sound normal, despite the fact that her heart is beating at twice its normal speed. “I have not given it much thought but I doubt it will be much different from now. I will look after Teacher, spend my days with Shi Jie, Shi Mei… and you.”

Had Teacher been less insistent that she should travel to broaden her horizons, she would be contented to stay in the mountain all her life. As if sensing her thoughts, he clasps her hand in his and looks deep into her eyes. “Is Teacher the only important person in your heart?”

“You are important to me too!”

“Then if I tell you that I want a different life, something with more sizzle. Changes. Will you be there with me?”

“But isn’t a simple life better?”

She did not see the disappointment in his eyes which he hid by looking away, nor did she understand his troubled expression back then. Soon after this conversation, she left and after 2 years of travelling, she concludes with herself that a simple life is indeed what suits her best.

Although it is not simple to be able to live simply.

******

Over the next few days, Shang Guan Jing avoids Feng Jin as much as she can. She is not dense and can tell that he is saying that he likes her, when he tells her so gently but intently that he rather remains sick for the rest of his life if he cannot marry the woman he likes.

She has no issues with his character or looks, and like the simple life in Nan Man. This is a place where honest men can make a living by tilling the land during the day and resting when the sun sets. But despite her liking of the place, it has not crossed her mind to settle here permanently. Furthermore, she has not forgotten that she still has a mission to accomplish.

After another day of wondering in the nearby villages, she returns to the bamboo house at dusk. When she spots Feng Jin standing by the gate, she drags her feet in hopes of prolonging any chance of an encounter. As she nears him though, she sees that he is not alone. An old man is kneeling in front of him, bowing to the ground, and pleading Feng Jin for help. There is a wooden cart behind the old man where a young woman quietly sits.

The old man seems to have been kneeling for some time and Shang Guan Jing catches some of his words as she walks up to them “…I only have one daughter, please, please take pity on her and save her! She has suffered so badly that I fear that she will lose her soul if this carries on. Please, please help her!”

Shang Guan Jing summersaults nimbly into the air and lands beside the cart. She does not dare to look at Feng Jin but she is aware of his unwavering gaze on her. Trying to behave naturally, she takes the young lady’s hand in hers. From her pulse, the young lady seems fine; her breathing is even and body temperature normal. But she has noticed the slash marks on both the young woman’s wrists and there is a ring of green-purple bruises around her neck.

Unless she is mistaken, this young woman should have attempted to suicide several times. Shang Guan wants to asks Feng Jin on what has happened to the young lady but he seems to look through her as he addresses the old man. “If I do save her, what do you intend to do after that?”

“If you can save my daughter, I will leave Nan Man with her and settle down in another place far, far from here! Please be merciful and save her. You are her only hope now!”