#10 White Lies

Patient name: Frank Cobbler
Age: 15 years
Complaints: A liar

Patient name: Frank CobblerAge: 15 yearsComplaints: A liar

(Frank Cobbler = Finn Wolfhard)

John asks, "Heard you have been lying lately?" "No, Doc. It's all one big misunderstanding. Mom is just freaking out as usual."

John reads the file carefully. He says, "You lied to your mom, saying you have a science project at school. You asked your friend to lie for you too. And you lied to your father for money."

"I know it sounded bad. But I need some space for myself. Mom kept bugging me all day long."

"Why don't you just tell her?" "I can't. She would freak out. She isn't like normal mom. She's a super star. Well, used to anyway. She demanded all the attention for herself. You can't say no to her."

John sighs. He says firmly, "Listen, Frank. There's no such thing as white lies. If you lied, you hurt other's feelings. Even if you meant well..." "That's what I mean. I don't want to hurt her. If I told her the truth..."

John takes out a picture from his black folder and gives it to him. He says, "My mom." "She's pretty." "She died when I was just 8 years old." "Sorry to hear that, Doc."

John stares to the ceiling. He confesses, "Sometimes I wondered if I told her the truth, she would still be alive. You see father lied to her. Said he's taking me to play ground to play. The truth was he left me there for few hours. He went away with a woman. Father gave me some money to seal my mouth."

Frank is silent.

John continues, "8 years old. And I learned to lie to Mom. Kept shielding him up. For money. And somehow I just knew she would be hurt. Knowing Pop hanging out with a pretty young woman. Until one day she saw them. In front of a motel."

"I, I couldn't save her. Her mental health declined in few months later. I found her dangling on a rope. Committed suicide.
I tried to save her. I just couldn't..."

Frank looks another way.

John sighs. Then he stares to the teenager boy. The doctor says, "Truth might be hurtful. But it's better than a thousand lies. If you kept lying, you lost your integrity. Even if you said the truth, no one else would believe you. Just like the shepherd and wolf story."

"Why are you telling me your life story?" asks him angrily.

John replies honestly, "So you would know. Every acts you have taken got consequences. I never know if I told her the truth from the start would change anything. Or not. You are still young, Frank. You got chances to make your life better. Don't lie to your loved ones. Or to others. You hurt them. Even without you realizing it."

Frank sighs. He vows, "I will tell the truth, Doc. No more sugar coated lies." "Good. I hope you would grow up to be a man with strong integrity. The world needs more men like that."

They shake hands before Frank leaves his office.

John stares to the old photo of his mom. He whispers, "Sorry, mom. I should have told you the truth. Pop have been cheating with her for 5 months. I'm sorry, mom."

Even when he closes his eyes, he could still remember her feet. Dangling from the ceiling.

John sighs. He puts the photo back to the black folder. He has more patients today. Curing them is like making amends for his mom.

He must have fallen asleep on his chair. A gentle massages wakes him up. He asks without opening his eyes, "Next patient?"

"None. You should get more rest, Doc. Your wife's order."

John smiles, enjoying Marianne's good massages. His mind went back to what he said to that kid, Frank.

He never told Marianne what happened to his mom.

(Concealing the truth is the same as lying, isn't it?)

John holds her hand. She asks worriedly, "What's wrong, John?" "Please sit down." She sits nervously on a chair in front of him.

John is still holding her hand. He says, "I only said to you my mom died from illness. Actually she committed suicide when I was 8 years old. And I, I watched the whole event. I tried to help her. But I failed..." "Oh, John..."

Her heart hurt for him. Knowing how much he has suffered because his mother took the easiest way out.

John sighs. Then he confesses, "I used to be a junky, did you know it? Started with weeds at first, not enough for me, ended up with cracks.

(Marianne = Genesis Rodriguez)

Marianne is silent. She squeezes his hand, encouraging him to continue his tale. He says, "I almost died OD. Hanging between life and death, I thought I saw her. My mom. Suffered in after life. I love her, Marianne. Seeing me as a junky would have broken her fragile heart."

"As a mother, I agree that would be what her feelings..."

John hugs her and kisses her forehead. He continues his tale, "I went through long and tiring process. Finally I found my true calling as a psychiatrist. Treating others, mending their wounded hearts, it felt like healing myself. Helping my late mom. Taking her to somewhere closest  to heaven. I know it sounds silly."

"No, it isn't, John. I understand how you felt. I really do. I'm glad you told me everything. No more secret between us."

John scratches his head. And he confesses, "Actually I got one tiny weeny secret. I, I took advantage of you when you're drunk. In a moving train."

Marianne looks shocked. She asks, "Was that you?" "Yes. After that event, I decided to date you. Broke my resolution of not dating any nurse from my hospital." "I'm glad you decided to find me. I love you, John." "I love you too, Marianne."

They share a passionate kiss. Marianne holds his hand and she says, "Let's go home. Call it early night." "Oh, okay..."

She whispers to his ear, "But I won't let you sleep too much, John. I'm going to remind you that your wife is more important than all of your patients."

John chuckles. Just leave it to her to brighten his days or nights.

He kisses her forehead and he says, "I'm lucky to have you, Marianne." "Me too, Doctor John Jameson."
------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to vote and comment:)

For story about how they first met, read:

When Love blooms (New York)

(It's the first story).