2

"Michael! Dinner! Get down here!" A fist banged on the door.

Bang bang bang.

It was his father of course. He was the only person who would bang on the door like that. His sister wouldn't do that. Never. She was nice, kind. His mother wouldn't even look at him.

Because he was a strange boy. Not completely there. Never completely there.

"Dad! I told you not to yell at him! He doesn't like it!" Her voice was familiar. He knew it well.

Michael's father grumbled something inaudible and stormed off. The door opened and in stepped a girl. His sister, Alia. She smiled at him brightly. So warm, like the sun. She spoke. "Come on now Michael. Dinner now. I'll help you with your homework after, okay?" she said gently. Michael nodded mutely, focusing on her voice.

She pulled him to his feet and tugged him down the hallway. Twenty steps and they reached the living room.

The table was set for two, as it was every night. Alia and Michael ate together alone. Their parents sat in the lounge. They heard the TV going in the background, their parents chattering as they ate, knives and forks clanking on the plates.

Alia grabbed her plate of food off the bench and Michael followed. They ate in silence.

Michael wanted to say something.

Anything.

"Why does he yell at me?" He finally asked. Alia paused, fork halfway to her mouth. She slowly lowered it down to her plate.

"You know he doesn't mean it right?" She said softly.

"I know. I don't mean anything either. I never do. It just happens. It's not my fault is it?" He stared across at her.

It wasn't his fault was it? He didn't think so.

She smiled at him. "It's not your fault. None of this is. It never is. Just like it's not Dad's fault for yelling. Like you, sometimes he doesn't understand."

"Oh I understand plenty." Their father said, walking into the room, empty plate in hand. "The boy is a bloody psychopath. He should be in an asylum."

"Dad!" She yelped incredulously, jumping to her feet.

"What did I do wrong? I didn't do anything! It's not my fault! Not my fault."

"Go up to your rooms." Their father said, eyes cold.

"Dad." Alia warned. "You're being unreasonable."

"Now."

Father and daughter glared at each other for moments more until Michael began to feel anxious. Alia, always in tune with Michael, noticed instantly. She scowled heavily, tainting her pretty pale features before taking off, Michael in tow.

"Don't listen to him, Michael." She sneered. "He's an idiot. Now, you had calculus homework right?"

"Calculus is pointless. Useless. I don't understand it." Michael frowned, sitting down on his bed. Alia laughed and sat next to him, pulling the necessary books out of her brother's bag.

"I'll try my best to help you understand."

And so they began.