color (2/2)

au ;; you don't see color until you meet your soulmate

"Gene? Can I ask you about something?" Dante asks it sheepishly, as if it's an awful question, and that gets Gene curious.

"..uh, I have to leave soon, make it quick."

"Has-.. Have you ever stopped seeing colors, and stuff?" Then he remembers Gene doesn't know, "I'm- I just read it in some article or something and was wondering if that can actually happen."

He seems to buy it, thinking it over.

"Once. That one summer Garroth went on vacation with his family."

"..So when he went far away from you?"

"I mean, I guess." Gene shrugs, taking another quick bite out of the toast he's holding.

"..if they go far away," Dante mumbles to himself, and instantly wants to crack his head open on the wall.

Maybe it's just a coincidence. It has to be- your best friend in the whole world being your soulmate is only something that happens in movies.

"I've heard it happens if they die or somethin', too." Gene adds, food still in his mouth. "But I gotta go. Remember to-"

"Wash the dishes, clean the bathroom, I know."

"Good. Seeya." He ruffles Dante's hair before he goes.

Gene unintentionally slams the door shut behind him, leaving Dante to think. There's no fucking way, not after all this time. It has to be someone else.

He thinks on the other possibility Gene mentioned, and rushes to grab his phone. There's only a few notifications, among them a good morning text from the very guy he's now anxious over.

Except it wouldn't have to do with everything being dull to begin with, because it's just a coincidence. Right.

At least he's okay.

Travis is not okay.

That's something that he realizes right away, grabbing for his phone fast. The internet here is downright awful, but this is important, and he's willing to wait as long as he gets answers.

There's not many reliable sources on this, despite how often it seems to have the chance to happen. Travis just keeps opening page after page, trying to find out what the hell happened to him.

"..If your soulmate perishes.. uh.. or.. fuck's sake." He mumbles to himself, aggravated with just how slow the text is loading.

Whichever kid from his middle school class that just died is inconveniencing Travis a whole lot more than wanted.

Turns out that isn't the only way, but Travis tends to ignore the things he doesn't want to see. Funny how that works.

Your connection with your soulmate can disappear when they die, or on very rare occasions, for no reason at all. And there are no other ways, definitely.

.. Just in case, though, he decides to keep up the good morning text tradition.

For no reason at all.

The text back has relief washing over him, but he isn't sure why. It isn't like there was any reason to worry in the first place, it's just a coincidence that a few things happened in this order.

"..Fuck." is all he can really say, slumping back down into his crappy excuse for a bed.

Six months fly by in what seems like a week.