Death of a....

This is just a short little blip that I wrote about Thomas Brodie-Sangster... hope you enjoy! Please keep in mind this is all fictional.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Thomas, or Dear Mr. Brodie-Sangster depending on how you prefer to be addressed,

My name is Silena Murray. I'm fourteen years old and live in Seminole Florida. I'm writing to you because, I don't know how much longer I have left. You see, when I was eleven I was diagnosed with leukemia, much like Donald Clarke in Death of a Superhero. Since then, I've been in remission four times, and relapsed each time. When I went into remission last time, three months ago, the doctors really believed that I would be cured. Unfortunately I only lasted two and  a half months before the symptoms returned and I was re-admitted to the hospital which is where I am now, writing this letter. I start another round of chemo tomorrow, but I know that there isn't much left that they can do. Leukemia will be the death of me.

So that is the reason that I am composing this letter. Not because I want your sympathy, or because I'm trying to con you into visiting (ex: I'll be dead in three weeks, and my dying wish is to meet you!). No, I just wanted to tell you that your portrayal of Donald Clarke in Death of a Superhero helped me through endless rounds of medication, chemo, and losing my hair (four times!). I first read Death of a Superhero shortly after I was diagnosed, back when there was much hope of saving me, or at least extending my life longer. It quickly became my favorite book and I always had it nearby. I loved Donald's perspective on life, death and cancer. And then I was told that there was a movie adaptation with a so-called Thomas Brodie-Sangster as Donald. Quite frankly, I didn't know who the hell you were until I looked you up and discovered that you were Sam from Love Actually, one of my favorite movies ever. So I watched the movie, and fell in love with the story and characters all over again. I especially love, "Nothing's going to change the fact that I'm fucked!" Which is exactly how I feel and, "Any time anyone is ever mean to you, or if you ever feel bad, or even if you just want to talk, I want you to come back to this exact spot. This is where I'm going to be forever and ever. And I'll be listening." Talk about waterworks.

I hope this letter finds you well and I just wanted to tell you, that even though I know that I'm fucked, and nothing will change that, your role as Donald changed my life. It gave me a new perspective and because of this film, I'm not so scared of dying anymore. Thank you, thank you, thank you, for helping provide some light in this dark time... without even knowing it.

Sincerely,

Silena Murray

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thomas Brodie-Sangster entered a hospital in Seminole Florida. A week ago he had received a letter from a fourteen year old Leukemia patient, saying that his role as Donald Clarke in Death of a Superhero, helped her persevere through all the rounds of treatment. He was here to meet her. She specifically stated that that was not what she wanted when writing the letter. She just wanted him to know what an inspiration he was. And it touched his heart. So he booked a flight and left two days later.

The later was dated from a little over a month ago, but it takes a while for letters to travel the ocean, and for fanmail to work it's way through the system.

Walking up the front reception desk, he leaned forward and asked in what room he might find Silena Murray. The nurse looked up at him and with a steady voice said, "Silena Murray passed away two days ago in her sleep."