Part Six: Crossing Paths

(Your Name), Despite believing so, wasn't the only one following the trail of the unknown being that had left such a clear mark of their presence. Though he had followed what physical marks he could find, Tom Riddle also remained focused on the mentality he could gather of the being. His mind had been building a fantasy of what could have possibly happened to leave up to the events prior to Peeves discovery, he was a curious soul, eager to learn just what had invaded the school. He found himself imagining someone incredibly strong and tall lurking the halls, a powerful wizard such as himself that could work past ministry restrictions that had been put in use ages ago.

Perhaps it was Grindelwald. He hoped in the back of his mind for such a thing, eager and giddy at the thought much like a child when hoping for snow on Christmas night. It was quite demented for one to compare snow to a dark Wizard of such power, yes,  but his thought were protected and kept to himself at times where other may have had the chance to see past his well maintained deception. He was very well versed in hiding from the naked eye what he wished not for others to see. He considered the talent among his many gifts, prided himself in having it, even, along with Parseltongue and his naturally charming ways.

He admired the Dark Wizard Grindelwald akin to the way Professor Slughorn admired his pictures with top students and famous witches and wizards. He knew that one day he would grow to be at that level of power, grow past the level of his idol even! Tom was the heir of Salazar Slytherin himself, after all, and he had used those powers to purge the school only two years ago. He would be remembered, revered even for the cleansing he would bring not only to Hogwarts, but to the entire wizarding world. He yearned for the day his brothers and sisters could cast spells and move freely without mudbloods and muggles breathing down their backs.. It all started in moments like these where change could be made, only fools would deny that.

To touch ghouls and ghost was a feat within itself, as even they were protected under their own laws. Finding someone able to touch them as they touched the living was pertinent to the future of his new world. Perhaps that was the reason he grabbed hold of the idea, no matter how small it was in his mind. He could pass on the teachings of the one he found and have his followers learn it as well.

His mind rolled on and on with ideas of what he would be able to do with the new found power and when he rounded the corner he found himself suddenly snapped back to reality as a force pressed against his chest roughly. His hands snapped up, grabbing hold of the figure before him as they let out a feminine yelp. Their wand clattered to the ground, lit with the Lumos charm that quickly extinguished itself with the jarring motion of Tom as he took control of the situation.

The event took place in the span of at least two seconds, giving him a silent moment to fix himself when the realization of who he had apprehended hit him. His face tensed, lips pulling up in disappointment before he finally composed himself once more. His fingers uncurled from her slender wrists and his hands returned to his sides as she spoke.

"Merlin Tom, you give me a fright." She hadn't quite snapped at him when she was released and moved to retrieve her wand, but it as clear she was less than happy with the jar she had received. She rubbed her wrists gently as her eyes found him in the dim hallway, clearly shaken as he noted silently.

"As you did me." He said, forcing himself to sound just a bit shaken, hand coming up to touch against his chest as it to steady his heartbeat. It wasn't hard to convince her, he had learned quite sometime time ago that convincing people was much easier the longer that he had known them. "I thought you were with those other two?"

"I was" She said, looking around to check the hall as she spoke. "they had it under control so I thought I'd check and see where those ink stains led."

"How clever of you." His voice came out with mirth lingering to his tone, though internally he had been quite sardonic. Being sarcastic and scathing was reserved usually for his followers, though every now and then he would find himself letting it loose on those he could afford to poke at.. Sadly his attitude wasn't fit for (Your Name) of late, as he had seen earlier in the evening.

"I was doing what I thought you would." he thought that she had winked at him as her face turned to look his way, though he couldn't be quite sure. The tone she sent him told him she was trying to joke with him and he gave a slight chuckle her way to sate her as he returned to what he had been doing moments before. She was content apparently, though joined him. He had become caught up in what had happened with Peeves and found himself suddenly hit with the memory of what he had intended to do earlier.

It wasn't often that his mind would wander, especially considering that the girl could be of use to him. She reeked of memories, Wools orphanage was a shared home... though he still held his suspicions of her true status. Two magical beings stuck in a muggle home together from a young age, not rare but it always felt off to him. She wasn't pure, he knew that very well, yet some of her family could be found in the records in the library. Trusting her was difficult, yet she had her uses. Until such a time that keeping her became more that it was worth he would accept her, use her for the price she unknowingly offered.

"I don't think we'll find anything out here, the time has passed. Whoever or whatever it was is gone by now." He said, hand touching her back for a moment to help guide her back down the hall as he wished.

"Hopefully that's the last we'll see of them." (Your Name) said with a slight sigh.

"Indeed..."