The Kiss

“Aeriel’s one of our most dedicated soldiers, she takes her duties very seriously,” Daniel explains. “She’s leading a human across desolate terrains, protecting her from flesh-eating zombies; show her some compassion.” The corners of his eyes soften as he smiles and he lifts his hand, reaching out to wipe something from my cheek. If his finger lingers a little longer than normal, I don’t notice. Nor do I notice the way his eyes move from mine - downward to study my lips.

I want him to kiss me so badly it hurts.

“Would that I could,” he murmurs softly in response and drops his hand.
His gaze bores into mine, those blue eyes sparkling like sapphires in the sunlight and I frown when I realize I haven’t noticed his eye color earlier. They are the purest blue I’ve ever seen, a sharp hue that almost reminds me of my favorite childhood cartoon – the Smurfs. 

And although I remember his mind-reading ability, his expression tells me that he sees all the way into my soul. Once again, he lowers his eyes to my lips and I pull my lower one in, nibbling on it. I’m surprised when his penetrating eyes widen; in shock or excitement, I don’t know. All I know is that my body suffers at the absence of his touch.

And just when I mentally berate myself for reading too many trashy romance books, his eyes zero back to mine and he dips his head; his lips lowering to mine.

Half closing my eyes in anticipation, my heart beat gallops at breakneck speed. I’ve never officially been kissed before, I have no idea what I’m supposed to do besides purse my lips and close my eyes. The warm, arid air around us cools significantly as his face closes in, his massive body blocking my petite one from the searing sun. I gasp when I feel the warmth of his breath on my cheeks.

This is it; the moment I’ve secretly fantasized about since our introduction.

He’s going to kiss me.

An insanely gorgeous angel is about to kiss me – like a man kisses the woman he desires. Everything but the two of us disappears. I forget that we’re in the midst of a quest to save the world from the wasteland of a zombie plague.

Emotions, so thick they nearly choke me, fill my chest. First, there’s excitement; not only over the kiss itself, but at the thought of doing something forbidden, then embarrassment over not knowing my part, so I can participate. Finally, need for that person-to-person contact, and desire at being seen as something more than a bratty girl-child, street-urchin.

Before my wayward mind has the chance to conjure any more degrading emotions, I feel the butterfly flutter of lips on mine and now I understand why they always made it look so painful in the movies. My body seizes with so many delicious sensations, I’m lost to everything but him.

************************************