Nine

“I don’t owe you anything. I’m going to sleep.” I walk past her wanting to go up to my room, when a claw like hand wraps itself around my arm.

“First where have you been, young lady? Second, who is that boy you’re sneaking out with? Third, and most important of all, where the he’ll is my car Yara?” she yells at me, counting on her fingers.

Of course, most important of all. Where her dear car is. Looks like I’m not bringing it back tomorrow. If she refuses to confront the real problems in this household, then she will never get it back. As. Simple. As. That. She can not keep trying to escape her child. Her life. Because that’s her life now, and if it’s not enough. I’m sorry.

“First, I’ve been at the park with, second, a friend you don’t have to know about.” I retort angrily. She looks at me, waiting for the most important part. I roll my eyes. “Third, I don’t care about your car. I won’t care until you decide to take your responsibilities, and talk about your issues with your seventeen years old daughter. Until then, goodnight.” I rip my arm out of her hold and rush up to my room.

I throw my coat on the floor, and walk to my bed. I sink under the covers and try to forget about it all.

I would love to say I stayed strong, determined. But the truth is that, that night I cried myself to sleep again.
                                                                                                                       ○○○

I wake up, by myself half an hour late. I forgot to set my alarm. I automatically, search my phone. It always lays on my bed next to me, because I don't hear the alarm when it’s not directly ringing into my ears.

I find it under my pillow, wildly vibrating. Caleb is calling me. I grab it before he thinks I bailed on him. “Caleb. What’s the matter?” I ask innocently while, going through my clothes. I quickly, grab a pair of jeans, a long sleeved t-shirt, and a sweater.

“Uh, hi, I just wanted to tell you I’ll be there in five minutes. Are you okay, you sound kind of frantic?” he asks suspiciously. I don’t respond running back to my closet having forgotten my underwear.

“Yara don’t tell me you just woke up.” I stay silent, feeling guilty. I hear him sigh at the end of the line.

“Hurry up, sleepy head you’re going to get us late!” he yells at me, an amused undertone in his voice. I answer a muffled ‘alright alright’ into the phone since I am brushing my teeth. With the other hand I hang up, before pulling my sweater over my head.

I slip into my UGG's, when I realise I forgot something. I quickly pick my bag off the floor, stuffing my hair comb into it. I run downstairs, grab an apple, when a car honks in front of the house. I pull on my coat, forgetting the apple in my hand. It falls down and rolls under the couch.

Whatever, I don’t have time for this.

I run out of the house, while throwing a scarf around my neck at the same time. A dark blue Duster is waiting for me outside, and I don’t think twice about the fact that I actually don’t know if that’s Caleb car yet, before jumping into the passenger’s seat.

Luckily, Caleb glances at me from the driver's seat, a hand on the steering wheel, the other on his phone, about to call me again.

“Yara. Finally! If I had known you were such a mess I wouldn’t have offered to drive you to school.” He greets me playfully, shoving his phone away into the glove box.