Chapter One:

The world was full of amazing things. Chihiro Ogino knew that better than anyone. She had seen them. No, scratch that, she had lived them. It may have been twelve years ago, but she could never forget what had happened all those years ago. She had stumbled upon a magical land. No, a magical world. It was a place of mystery, excitement, and danger. It was the spirit world. Not the spirit world as in the life after death, but a whole other universe, inhabited by witches, wizards, demons, monsters, and of course, spirits.

It seemed like a dream, a wild fantasy world from the imagination of a child, but it was real. Chihiro was certain of that. She had proof with her even now. Although no one would think that a simple hair band was proof of the spirit world. But it was real to her, and that's all that mattered. She remembered the day she received the hair band. She remembered everything about that world, and she missed it. But most of all she missed him.

Who was he, no one would believe her if she told them. He was the one who saved her those twelve years ago. He was the one who helped her rescue her parents and return them all home. He was the one she dreamed about almost every night. He was Nigihayami Kohaku Nushi, also known as Haku, and he was the spirit of the Kohaku River. 

It had been twelve years since they've seen each other. Twelve long lonely years, and not even the smallest sign of the river spirit. He has promised they would see each other again some day. He had promised! But where was he? And where was the world that she had come to love more than her own? She doesn't know, but still carries hope she'll see it again one day. Her fist experience in the spirit world had been terrifying as well exciting. She and her parents had been on their way to their new house when they accidentally stumbled into the place that would change her forever. She remembered how scared she had been, how scared any ten year old would've been. Her parents, unaware of what they were doing, had eaten the food meant for the spirits. They gobbled up the offerings like pigs, so as punishment the witch in charge of the land, Yubaba, had turned them into pigs. Chihiro had been left all alone in the spirit world after they were transformed and taken. She was left lost, confused, and incredibly scared to death. 

But then he came for her, he helped and comforted her. The only reason she survived was by his instruction. Chihiro had gone to the bathhouse owned by Yubaba and received a job. The old witch stole her name, changing it to Sen. She was put to work with the other spirits in the bathhouse. With the help of Haku, along with two other spirits, Lin and Kamajii, she managed to become useful enough to be considered a good enough worker to stay in the spirit world as well as the bathhouse. She was well liked and did her job well until she had accidentally let a monster named No-Face into the building thinking he was a customer. He caused all sorts of damage and put the bathhouse into a great deal of debt. Yubaba wasn't happy about her 'guests' behavior which really reflected bad on Chihiro. And if things weren't bad enough for the young girl, the old witch had sent Haku on a death mission to acquire her twin sister's magical gold seal. But Yubaba's sister, Zeniba, had placed a powerful protective spell on the seal to prevent it from being stolen. As Haku slowly died, No-Face continued to destroy almost the whole bathhouse. On top of all that, Yubaba's son, a literal ten foot tall baby, tried to keep Chihiro and force her to play with him which ultimately resulted in him being turned into a tiny mouse by Zeniba to teach him a lesson. 

On the bright side, things began to look up after that. After retrieving the golden seal from Haku, Chihiro took it upon herself to lure No-Face away from the bathhouse. Once she successfully got him outside, the monster reverted back into his natural peaceful behavior. Chihiro, No-Face, and Yubaba's son, who was still a mouse, boarded a train to Zeniba's house in hopes to return the golden seal and apologize for Haku so she could save his life. As it turned out, surprisingly Zeniba was quite nice and friendly.  She welcomed the girl into her home and had even given her a present which was the hair band she now wore. After everything was as it should be, Haku arrived in perfect health to Zeniba's house, and it was then that Chihiro realized who he really was. Just as Yubaba had done to her, the witch had stolen Haku's name as well. Good news was that the young girl had figured out his name, with his name restored, the river spirit was able to break free of the spells binding him.