The Rescue - A Hope for nothing

CHAPTER 15: THE RESCUE - A HOPE FOR NOTHING

ABIGAIL P.O.V.

The horizon was clear and the stars are disappearing one by one. We covered ourselves with these checkered blankets because it is severely cold and some of the people are wearing nothing but just a nightgown and slippers.  I fell asleep. When I woke up, I saw this beautiful dawn with pinkish clouds on the horizon. And I saw this one funneled ship and the other lifeboats coming towards her.

NARRATOR P.O.V.

Titanic's survivors were finally rescued around 04:00 on 15 April by the RMS Carpathia, which had steamed through the night at high speed and at considerable risk, as the ship had to dodge numerous icebergs en route. Carpathia's lights were first spotted around 03:30 by Lifeboat no. 2, which greatly cheered the survivors, though it took several more hours for everyone to be brought aboard. The men on collapsible B finally managed to board two other lifeboats, but one survivor died just before the transfer was made. Collapsible A was also in trouble and was now nearly awash; more than half of those aboard had died overnight. The remainder was transferred into another lifeboat, leaving behind three bodies in the boat, which was left to drift away.

ABIGAIL P.O.V.

We reached the ship at 7:15 A.M and picked up by the stewards. First Class and second class passengers were gathered on the ship. We climbed up by using a ladder. The steward sent us inside. We saw the other first class passengers. The Passengers on the Carpathia were shocked on what have happened. We started to find Alice, Lucy, Kelly, and Ellen. But, we cannot find them. I’m losing hope. Then suddenly, I saw a young girl with a dog. And it was Kelly. Finally, we reunited with our families. I hugged Kelly very tightly. George was reunited with their sister too.

NARRATOR P.O.V.

The scene that greeted them as the sun came up startled those on Carpathia: "fields of ice on which, like points on the landscape, rested innumerable pyramids of ice."

As the lifeboats were brought alongside Carpathia, the survivors came aboard the ship by various means. Some were strong enough to climb up rope ladders; others were hoisted up in slings, and the children were hoisted in mail sacks. The last lifeboat to reach the ship was Lightoller's boat No. 12, with 74 people aboard a boat designed to carry 65. They were all on Carpathia by 09:00. There were some scenes of joy as families and friends were reunited, but in most cases, hopes died as loved ones failed to reappear and few still hoping for nothing.

ABIGAIL P.O.V.

George and I was brought aboard. My body was totally weak because of starve and coldness. George was given a blanket. We stayed on the Carpathia’s Lounge. We used these mattresses as our beds. I find Kelly and Lucy but they weren’t to be found. I lost hope. I stayed in a corner, that whole day. Until I heard a dog, barking, I went out to the deck, It was Kelly, Lucy, Alice and Ellen finding George and Harold. I hugged her tightly. “Where is Harold?” Alice asked, “Where are my brother and Karl?” Lucy asked. 

“Alice, I’m sorry but, he didn’t board a boat. He went aft and that was the last time I saw him, same also as your brother and Karl.”  Lucy and Ellen started crying also “ KARL WAS ALIVE! I KNOW IT!  HE PROMISED ME THAT HE WONT LEAVE ME! PLEASE SAY IT THAT HE WAS ALIVE!” begged Lucy.

ALICE P.O.V.

We kept on finding Abigail and Harold until I found them, except Harry. So I asked her but I was shocked by her answer, I knew he was alive!  He was not dead! NO! IT CAN’T BE! I started sobbing.