The Journey, The Reunion, & The Grand Finale

Thomas, Annie and Clarabel did not stop until they came to the station of Barrow-in-Furness at the end of the line. The soldiers all said thanks and goodbye, and Christopher spoke to Thomas as he was taking on water for the long journey to York.

"I think it's going to be a very far run," he said excitedly. "Of course, we are going to spend the night somewhere and my driver has found the right place. What's it called?"

"Carnforth," answered the driver.

"Exactly," said Thomas. "Which is why I think we should rest up before we go looking for your father. If he's not in York, he could be anywhere."

Christopher did not wish to believe that his father could be anywhere else, but he did know that armies would often move from place to place for a number of reasons, including battle strategics to get more and more closer to the enemy forces. So he climbed onboard Annie, a few soldiers joined them in Clarabel's compartments and Thomas puffed away.

They reached the station of Dalton and passed the town of Ulverston where a memorial would be set up in the near future.

"The Leven river is just up ahead, Thomas," said the driver, looking at the map.

"I just hope there's a bridge to cross it," he replied doubtfully.

The Leven viaduct was long and narrow and made Thomas worry over falling into the river, but it was very interesting, seeing all the new sights away from his island home and when they arrived at Cark and Cartmell station, the driver looked over the map again.

"It really is a long way," he laughed to the fireman.

The fireman had to disagree.

"Let's just hope we're not going in circles," he muttered to himself.

Passing Flookburgh and onward to Kents Bank, Thomas looked lovingly at the beautiful view of the Moorecambe Bay from Grange-Over-Sands, blowing his whistle to all the ships and yachts floating in the water. Inside Annie, Christopher also looked out at the beautiful sight from the moving window and Diana was looking at the town from the other side of the compartment.

"So we're going a long way from home to find your father," she sighed. "Why soon when you could have waited until the war ended?"

"It's too long," said Christopher. "Dad and I used to be so close and carefree, and when the war began on the day Poland was invaded...he immediately enlisted. I never felt so cold and cross until then, it's been that way for almost three years."

"There are plenty of boys your age who miss their fathers-and mothers as well," conceded Diana. "My father spent his life as an engineer and a driver, and he never thought of fighting in a war like this."

Christopher turned his attention back to the bay.

"At least you still have them," he replied.

Both children remained very silent for the rest of the journey to Carnforth. As Thomas had predicted, it was almost sunset and he stopped at the station to let off a few soldiers and the ones climbing aboard decided to sleep in the carriages, including Christopher and Diana but Mr. Kyndley chose to sleep in a nearby tavern, hoping a few drinks would keep his mind from worrying about his wife.

The yard manager did not permit any coaches in the engine shed, so Thomas left Annie and Clarabel on a siding with Christopher, Diana and the soldiers still inside and backed down quietly into the big engine shed. Like with his friends on Sodor, Thomas felt dwarfed by the bigger engines and one of them even looked like Henry, but painted black. Her name was Bahamas, and like Henry, she was built at Crewe.