Lab Coats and Awkwardness

We walked through the locker room so I could grab my lab coat; I looked at Gabriel besides me and saw she was tying up her long hair into a little bun. It was admirable. I’ve got to stop staring for so long. I opened up my locker to see my large white lab coat and a smaller white lab coat with a note stuck to it. ‘Gabriel is going to have to share a locker with you, and this is her new lab coat. DM’ I didn’t mind this at all, it was just that I had a small locker that worried me. “Gabriel, this is your new lab coat, she gave a lovey smile, “thank you, Dexter.” She slowly slipped her arms though the sleeves and adjusted the collar. She wore it very well, Even though it was a lab coat.

The lab as always was spotless. There was no work to do but paper work, not the most exciting work. Without any more evidence, the crime lab had become slow. I sat at my desk hoping that Gabriel would come and join me except she just stood under the only light that lit up the room. She looked nervous. “Gabriel, are you ok?” this isn’t something I’d usually do, I’d usually let them stand there and squirm but I craved Gabriel’s kind and innocent nature, which was the complete opposite of mine. She smiled, that beautiful smile, “I’m fine. It’s just there seems to be no evidence on any of these examination tables.” Well this wasn’t a surprise, “It’s been three days since the last homicide and I’ve processed all the evidence. But there is paper work to do, and I believe that you wouldn’t like to do that.” Gabriel nodded and proceeded to the chair next to me. This was close very close. Her left side of her body brushed against mine as she settled into her chair. I felt a shiver crawl up my spine, but I wouldn’t let it show. “What should I do then Dexter? Should I make you a coffee or something?” this was sweet, but I would not let myself make her work like that, she didn’t come here to do that. “You can make yourself a coffee if you wish, but I’m fine.” She then looked and smiled at me, and then looked at the two inch stack of paper work, which was in front of her. “I think I’ll go and make myself a tea, its going to be a long day.” And at this I smiled, I hoped it was going to be a long day.

Suddenly there was a knock on the lab door. It was joey, and I knew why he was here,” Hey Dex, you know about Gabriel?” I didn’t know if I should answer that sarcastically or not, “yes Joey I know of her, but don’t even think about asking her out on one of you dates. She’ll be with me this evening, on a date.” Joey was now stunned and so was I, where did all that come from. Yes I’m jealous that joey would even think about asking Gabriel on a date, but now I have to ask her on one, great. “Sorry Dexter I didn’t think you and Gabriel would hit if off so well.” And with that he left. Then I heard something humming a tune behind the door. It was Gabriel, her slender and graceful finger slid round the edge of the door, and she pushed it open.

Now comes the awkward part.

She walked into the room with a steaming cup of tea, as well as carrying a whole pack of Maryland chocolate cookies. She must have a sweet tooth. She smiled at me as she settled into her chair and looked at the paper work which was placed in the corner of the desk.

I should really ask her now. I know she will say no. I’m a single father and a serial killer.

“Gabriel if you wouldn’t mind,” how am I meant to say this? I sighed, here goes nothing, “Gabriel will you go on a date with me?” her lovely smile faltered, then glowed even brighter. She’s going to try and let me down gently. “I’d love to go on a date with you Dexter.” Wait she didn’t say no, I smiled brightly. It was weird.