Chapter 2

Clove pov
I run up behind him as we reach the pitch and bleachers. I took me a while to reach him because the second he got outside he took off running. I'm faster than him but he had a head start.

"Cato, stop running." He finally turns around and looks at me.

"What, Clove, what do you want?" He half shouts angrily at me.

"Why are you acting out over nothing? What is wrong with you lately?" I ask him. The second i got here he was staring to act annoying.

"Me, it's you who's acting weird. Sarcastic and mean. Why?" I think for a second. He has a point. I have been a bit of a Johanna lately.

"Well I'm sorry that's just how I am." He sits down on the bleachers and I follow. "Why did you get so mad at me back there?"

"I'm frustrated, I've got alot going on right now, Clove." He has his elbows resting on his knees holding his head with his hands.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I ask him with a weak smile as I rub his back to make him feel better.

"My parents are getting a divorce. My grandfather just died last week. You know how close I was with him." I did. I was even close with him. Whenever the three of us would go to Cato's house he would give up a humbug. The man seemed to be made of them because he always had some at hand.

"Well, I'm sorry to hear that. He really was such a sweet, funny, old man." I say to him as he looks up dropping his arms down and looking me in the eye. "Cato is that why you have been so bipolar since we get here?"

"Probably. I didn't notice it was doing that." Really. A few hours ago Cole had clapped his hands at us because we were potentially going to kiss, I think, maybe. Now he's mad at me, I guess in his defence his grandfather really was such a nice person. I already miss him. We.were actually going to go see him and Rosalind, his wife in a few weeks.

"Look, I'm sorry for acting like a pain. It's just the way I am. I'm sarcastic and mean." I tell him looking down at the football pitch.

"You are sarcastic but you aren't mean." Cato tells me looking down at his feet.

"Don't lie to me." I roll my eyes and he let's out a small laugh. "I'm sorry about your parents."

"It's fine. I don't really like them anyway." He tells me.

We sit there for a while saying nothing until we decide to go back inside just in time to see you guessed it Marvel and Glimmer standing in front of Thresh probably telling him lies about me. They're great at that.

"Hey Glimmer." Cato smiles at her. Yes, he genuinely smiles.

I stare at him in disbelief for a few seconds. I notice how uncomfortable Thresh is just sitting there. The tension in the room is so thick even I couldn't cut it with a knife. Glimmer sashays over to Cato and smiles.

"So how are you this morning?" She flirtatiously asks him.

"It's 1 pm." I inform them but get ignored.

I walk over to Thresh and Marvel.

"I'm gonna kill her. Yep, I'm gonna do it, someone pass me a knife." I say sarcastically as I watch the two flirt or should I say attempt.

"Clove calm down." Marvel says as he rolls his eyes.

"Do you want me to cut you. It's like you're begging to be injured today Marvel. Don't be dumb. Please do us all a favour and shut that big stupid mouth of yours. Or I'll do it for you." I glare at him. Nobody in our year is shorter than I am but they are all still terrified of me.