Running Wild

During her lunch period at school, Charity went to the library. She had enough of nosy people wanting to know about Janelle's disappearance so they could gossip about it. She sunk down into one of the chairs and stared blankly at the rows of African-American literature books. She wished she could be transported into a different world where she wasn't sick with guilt and didn't have to hide her relationship.

She nodded off to thoughts of happier times and worlds that only books, and imagination could transport her too. Roughly 20 minutes later she awoke to the giggles of a nearby group talking about her.

"Really, what happened to Charity though?" One girl asked. "I mean, she used to be the Queen of this school and now all she does is mope around or stare all googly-eyed at her phone."

"True." Another said. "She used to know how to turn this school out. That's what everyone needs right now. But maybe it's time for someone else to take that spot."

Charity wanted to see the looks on their faces as she marched up to them. She didn't have it in her though because she was too sad and knew they were right. She used to be the Queen of Wilkerson High until things got more intense with Toni. She needed to get the focus off of Janelle who she had to convince herself was somehow just fine.

She walked towards the busy cafeteria. She had to quicken her pace every time she thought of that night, so she wouldn't lose her nerve to put it all behind her. She thought of the moment her headlights were flashing on Janelle as she ran. She held her head up higher and pushed it away from her thoughts. That was in the past for her, she decided. She was going to throw herself into typical high school nonsense. She would be consumed by being a kid, an innocent kid. It didn't need to be true but it needed to be her new thought process.

She walked to the middle of the cafeteria and couldn't think of anything to say. So she decided to say nothing. She pulled down her plaid skirt and unbuttoned her time.

"Woo. Charity." One guy exclaimed.

"Streak day." A girl screamed from across the cafeteria as she took off her uniform and followed suit.

Charity fed off of the energy from the crowd and ran across the cafeteria. "Take it off."

Her peers either stripped down or pulled out their phones.

Charity felt alive and on top of the world again. She did a flip and her classmates screamed and cheered like it was her own pep rally. She did another and as she stood up she turned and regrettably came face to face with the very angry Assistant Principal Anthony Jones.

His eyes said it all, but he spoke anyway. "Clothes on. My office."

Charity couldn't even form a thought. All she knew was that the cafeteria was suddenly quieter and beginning to empty and that she was in deep shit.