April 25th

One of Keira's favorite movies is Miss Congeniality. She loves Sandra Bullock. Anyway, in that movie, one of the Miss America contestants is asked to describe her perfect date and she replies, "April 25th." Keira adopted that as her perfect date and every year, I try to live up to that by taking her on amazing dates that I hope she'd never forget. 

Today, however, was the one to out-do them all. 

There was a party up at Deerfield Residence, the official home to the US Ambassador to Ireland. It was where I lived with my family when Dad was the Ambassador but it was also where I first laid eyes on Keira Delaney. 

My mom was hosting an event that night and had invited Harlow Delaney since she was the gatekeeper to many contacts in Dublin society that my mom craved to know. Harlow, in turn, invited Keira to attend with her and I remember my mom practically blackmailing me into asking Harlow's granddaughter to dance. She told me to flirt and to charm Keira so that it would give her and Harlow something to talk about- an icebreaker of sorts. I didn't want to flirt or charm anyone that night; I didn't even want to be at the party but it was expected of me so I did as I was told, rationalizing that it might be a way for me to get released from my latest house arrest. 

I spotted Keira as soon as she came in and let me tell you, it's not an image I'm likely to forget in a hurry. She wore a red dress that was surely made for her. It was like liquid against her body, fitting in all the right curves. Her hair was up, showcasing her slender neck, and she wore drop emerald earrings that skimmed the skin of her neck when she walked. Her eyes darted around the room, taking everything in and I couldn't help but watch her wherever she went. I laughed when people tried to approach her and she would swerve at the last minute just to avoid them. She really didn't want to be at the party. 

It wasn't until much later that evening that I finally made my way over to her table, asking her if she'd like to dance with me. I was hellishly nervous because I'd already worked out that she'd say no but part of me was hoping I could be enough to make her change her mind. She flat out refused, reminding me that I hadn't really asked her to dance. Looking back on it, she was right. I hadn't asked her to dance at all. 

That's when she got up and walked away, melting into the thick crowd. I lost sight of her for a while. After a few trips around the room trying to find her, I gave up and decided I needed some fresh air. Walking out to the rose garden, Secret Service behind me, I spotted Keira in my hiding spot. Walking towards her, I plucked up the courage for a re-do. In less than a minute after we first started talking, I knew that she was the one for me. She was sarcastic, confident, beautiful, all the qualities that I found attractive in a girl. 

I eventually got her to dance with me. Of course, I took having to throw her over my shoulder to convince her but it worked. We got the approval from my mom and Harlow, and knowing that our parts in the evening had been fulfilled, I invited Keira up to my room, where we played strip poker. It was the most turned on I'd ever been, especially when Keira lost another hand and ended up sitting in front of me with only her dress on. If she just lost one more round... Of course, being a gentleman, I don't take advantage of people like that. Instead, we made a bet. If I won the next round, Keira would have to go on a date with me. 

Guess who won? 

Since that night, I don't think there's been a day when I haven't either seen or spoken to Keira. It took her a while to get used to me being around and despite the fact that we were officially boyfriend and girlfriend from December Twenty-Sixteen, she didn't really acknowledge me as her boyfriend for another year. Sometimes she'd slip up and refer to me as her boyfriend but I was mostly introduced as 'Logan, my friend.' Still, I heard her sleeptalking when she would call me her loganberry. It was cute. She wanted me. 

I'd pulled a few strings to get an invitation to tonight's party up at Phoenix Park but Keira and I made the guest list. As we made our way up the driveway of the residence, Keira kept muttering that she hadn't been back to Deerfield since the night we met, which wasn't really true. She'd sleep over my place quite often before we moved to London. But I kind of understood what she meant when she said that- we hadn't been back here, all dressed up, since that night all those years ago. 

"Hey, I'm not sure if I said this already but," I smile across the backseat at her. "You look wonderful."

Keira rolled her eyes but she couldn't control the blush that flushed her cheeks. "You've said that about twelve times now."

Just as I'd asked Aoife, Keira had chosen a red, backless gown for tonight and wore the same earrings as years before. Aoife had even come over to the hotel to style her hair, making sure that Keira looked almost identical to the night we first met. When I tell her she looks wonderful, I mean it. She's always beautiful to me. 

"Well, it was worth saying twelve times," I whisper, leaning in for a kiss. 

Getting out fo the car, I offer my arm to Keira as we walk inside and line up to meet the current US Ambassador to Ireland. I knew the man well since he was a friend of my father's and when we shook hands, Patrick grinned at me. 

"Logan, my gosh, you've changed," Patrick Sullivan laughed, slapping his hand against my shoulder. Then he turned to my girlfriend. "This must be Keira. Ambassador Leahy has told me so much about you. Logan, why don't you take a tour of the grounds, see if it's as you remember it. Agent Connolly will escort you just in case any Secret Service get carried away."

Thankfully, Keira didn't notice the wink Patrick gave me as we moved along the line and veered left down a hallway. I remember my way around like the back of my hand and soon enough, we were at the door that leads out into the rose garden. Agent Connolly exited ahead of myself and Keira, just to check that the area was safe, giving me the nod when he came back in. 

Nervously, I took Keira's hand in mine and lead her out, watching her reaction carefully as she saw the way the garden was lit up with fairy lights and candles. The gazebo in the garden, where we had sat and talked the night we met, was filled with vases of roses picked from this very garden. Leading her across the lawn, I felt her hand begin to shake in mine. Looking down at her, I could see her eyes watering. I just hoped that it was because she liked what she saw. 

Entering the gazebo, I turn to face her and hold both her hands in mine. "Keira Eimear Delaney," I begin, using her full name. I'd mastered how to pronounce her middle name just so I could use it in my speech. "In twenty-sixteen, in this very spot, you changed my life. The second I saw you that night, I knew that I needed to know you and I would do whatever it took to make sure that I didn't let you walk away from me. Since then, you have captivated me each and every day and there isn't a single thing about you that I don't adore.

"You have made me the happiest man in the world, Keira," I continue, feeling my voice about to crack. "And I cannot imagine a life without you in it. You are my air. Without you, I would die. I know you're not a fan of huge romantic gestures but if you could just indulge me one more time."

Dropping to my knee, Keira gasps, holding a hand over her mouth. "Logan-"

"Keira, would you do me the honor of marrying me?"