Teasing - Chapter 18

You were bandaged up by nightfall. After Gavroche brought you that stolen bottle of wine (with a pastry right with it), you found yourself a spot on the barricade, and Gavroche refused to leave your side... And to be frank, that was a good thing.

He was the only one thriving with energy.

Some of the men around you half-heartedly mumbled the chants, perhaps as a way to keep themselves awake in case of an attack, and others exhaustedly lined up in front of Enjolras to receive their weapons and the instructions on how to use them.

He hadn't spoken to you since your injury.

Only you, Courfeyrac, and Gavroche were the ones wrapped up in conversation. The both of them (or at least, Courfeyrac) seemed quite intent upon hearing about your damned relationships with everyone, and by now, you had gotten through the majority of the list.

The best were saved for last.

"I'm pretty sure Grantaire likes everyone a little too much," you mused. You saw him sit up from his spot a little, giving a small wave in your direction before turning to talk with everyone else. He had managed to sober up just a little. You smiled a bit. "He's lovely, though. When he's drunk, he just seems... a little too cozy with everyone. He said a little while back that he wanted to kiss Enjolras."

"He wants to do that every day," Gavroche chimed in with a laugh.

Courfeyrac beamed with a proud smile.

"I don't know if it's because he's in love, really drunk, or just keeps mistaking him for a woman...  The last two sound more reasonable, don't you think?"

"Enjolras? Mistaken for a woman?" you said, stifling a laugh. "Last time I checked, you were the one dancing around with a tablecloth skirt. I doubt that he's more girly than you."

Coufeyrac would normally defend himself in a situation as such, but once his lips broke into a large smile, it was clear that it was the perfect opportunity to change the subject into something he had wanted to talk about all night.

"Speaking of him," Courfeyrac muttered as he tried to discreetly wiggle his eyebrows, leaning in so he could speak with you. "I heard he walked you home."

Gavroche shot up to his feet.

"What?" His jaw dropped as he stared you right in the eye, which made you give a small laugh. A sudden flood of shock and curiosity washed over him. His eyes wandered curiously to Enjolras, who was still busy handing out guns and repeating his instructions on how to use them, and he turned right around again with a large, toothy smile. "You was walking home with Enj, wasn't you? I remember hearing about it! Oh, why didn't you tell me?"

Courfeyrac smiled and feigned offense.

"You didn't tell Gavroche about your hubby?" he asked, giving you a nudge and teasing smile.

"'Hubby?'" you repeated, a disbelieving smile pricking your lips as you sat up a little straighter. You felt a slight twinge embarrassment wash over you (though you'd never admit to it), and you offered a gentle chuckle to try and ease your own humiliation. "I don't ever recall him getting on one knee and proposing."

"He gave you his pin, so he might as well," Courfeyrac shrugged. "On all the years he's ever been on this earth, he hasn't given any of us something so important to him... And I don't recall that he's ever walked any of us home, either! And just because he 'wanted to talk?' He'd rather tell us to stay late at the café, make us think we did something wrong, and give us a damned heart attack when he says what's actually on his mind!"