Chapter 11

"Why didn't you guys just explain yourselves to the police?" Cathleen interrupted, "They would've listened."

Lucius smirked at her for a few moments before responding. "The government—Surveillance—itself knew what we had, and it knew that if the public found out the truth there could be no more secrets. The people would rebel, possibly bringing the whole system down. They couldn't risk that. Remember when Commander Connors came in here and started running things?"

 "Yeah, I remember."

 "He was one of the inside men from Surveillance. His orders were to capture and kill Auto and me, they didn't even want us alive anymore. They just wanted the threat to their power gone." Lucius' voice seemed to faintly catch on Auto's name. He stared off into space, eyes settling on the mirror in the wall. "Are they still watching?"

 Cathleen checked her watch. It had been a few hours since she had entered the room. They might've all left by now, of course there would always be at least one officer standing guard in case Lucius tried anything. He shifted the metal bands that chained him to the table. Cathleen hadn't been able to do that for him. "It's hard to say," she replied.

 Lucius motioned for her to get in close. "What, another secret?" she asked, putting her ear by his lips. This time, he gently grabbed her chin and turned her face to his. Cathleen stared at the criminal, alarmed, about to try to pull away. Lucius planted a kiss on her mouth and instantly a storm of officers burst into the room.

 Lucius leaned back in his chair, releasing Cathleen, who took a step back, blundering into her chair, stunned. "Well, now we know whether they're watching, huh?" he said, raising his hands, prompting the officers to lower their weapons, "I guess I should be flattered that you guys care so much about my story. But really, I'm not going to do anything." A camera orb floated around Lucius' head. He looked around the room from person to person, looking at Cathleen with a mixture of helplessness, contentment, curiosity and something devious. Slowly, after making sure that Lucius really wasn't going to do anything, the officers filtered out of the interrogation room.

"Sorry," he finally mumbled, "Always wanted to try that."

 "So Commander Connors...?" Cathleen tried to get Lucius to continue.

 Lucius yawned, waving as the last officer warily stalked out of the room. "The Com was...They never tell even their closest guys what they're actually doing. He thought we were the terrorists everyone else did..." Lucius put his head in his hands, "I'd continue," he said, rubbing his eye, "But I actually haven't slept in..." Cathleen could see him trying to calculate the days in his head. He gave up. "A...while." he sighed. "Would you mind if I...?"

 "Of course, Lucius, you can sleep. I'll come see you again tomorrow." Cathleen got up to leave, two officers stepping in to escort her out.

 "Hey," Lucius started sleepily, "Am I gonna have to sleep in a cell?"

 She couldn't be sure, but Cathleen thought she heard a hint of fear in his voice. She glanced at the two officers, both of which looked at the other and shrugged."I don't know," she sighed, "But someone will be in in a moment to escort you out of here."Lucius looked down at the table, muttering an okay. Cathleen waited for him to ask for anything else, or look up, but when neither happened, she walked out.

 *****

 The following morning Cathleen went with the guards assigned to Lucius. They walked down the hall of the department to the cells that held temporary prisoners. Cathleen's heart sank. If Lucius had been dreading sleeping in a cell, she could only imagine how upset he must've been. When she asked the guards, they reported that he had been reluctant to enter and that in the end he had to be forced in, kicking and screaming.

 They arrived at Lucius' cell. Looking through the slot in the door, Cathleen could see Lucius lying on his back on the cot that had been placed there for him. He was already awake. The two officers stepped inside and handcuffed Lucius, holding his shoulders and guiding him back to the interrogation room.

 Cathleen noticed that Lucius seemed paler coming out of the cell, and the rings under his eyes were darker than they had been the day before. "How long have you been awake?" she ventured. Lucius seemed hesitant to answer. "All night." the gruff response finally came.

 "Oh, I..." Cathleen started, not sure how to respond.

 "Don't worry about it," Lucius said over his shoulder to her, avoiding eye contact. After they had been seated back at the table, Lucius took a moment to try and remember where they had stopped the night before. "Alright," he said decidedly, "Are you ready?"

 Cathleen nodded.