13: The Battle Room

When I awoke the next morning, I was pleased to find my head had not bled; the fall had simply knocked me unconscious.

What was suspicious is that I had awoken in my bed. Someone must have moved me, and I assume it was my Cancer Wolf.

Whoever that may be.

But after I had come round properly, I spent most of the day finishing cleaning and sorting the fabric. The thought of the white outfit in the wardrobe had completely left my mind. It was not until I saw the sun setting I realised just how many hours I had been inside my room. And that my dinner with Geoffrey was fast approaching, and I had nothing to wear.

Once again, the white fabric caught my eye, and I found myself drawn to the wardrobe once again. I reached out to touch the soft fabric, and I gasped as I realised which dress it was. It was the white dress from my dreams. Could I dare wear it knowing what it meant?

Was I finally going to meet my saviour in human form?

Before I could stop myself, I had slipped into the dress, and was admiring the way my skin felt against the material. My heart thudded with excitement, and I could not deny what I was feeling. I did not know what to do with myself.

Then my heart dropped.

What was I doing? I was wearing the dress I was meant to meet my Cancer Wolf in to a dinner date with someone else. Confused, I waded my way through the neat pile of ripped clothes I had made, and I delicately placed myself on my dressing table stool. As I brushed my hair into an up-do, I thought about what I must do.

I have to end my relationship with Geoffrey, because I have fallen completely, undeniably, utterly and totally in love with Calvin. The thought of his lips on mine send sparks down my spine, and for a moment I had to stop styling my hair to compose myself.

But I continued, and within ten minutes I was ready to face Geoffrey. I gave myself a final check, and despite the fact I looked rather attractive, I could not help but notice the likeness to my own self in the dream. Although this worried me, I had no other choice.

This was destiny.

I trailed down the East Staircase, picking my long white dress up so I would not fall on the stairs. I could see the light from the fireplace in the room where I knew Geoffrey was waiting, and I braced myself for what I was about to say.

“Elizabeth, you look-!” I held my hand up to silence Geoffrey as I entered the room. I tucked a strand of hair that had fallen free behind my ear, and a blush crept upon to my face. Geoffrey was dressed in his Sunday best, and I could not bear to break the news to him after only arriving. I decided to stay for a while longer, as I felt it was the most lady-like thing I could do.

The heat from the roaring fire in the room wrapped itself around me and it clung to my flesh and clothes as I entered. Geoffrey looked momentarily stunned at being silenced, but regardless he pulled my chair out for me at the table.

Sitting down what I wished to be graciously, I unfolded my napkin and placed it over my lap. The atmosphere soon fell in sync with the rest of the room. Conversation between Geoffrey and I was surprisingly easy considering what I was about to do.