the reason for "I Love You"

Now it is 8 years after the comet strike. Which means 8 years have passed for Mitsuha since she's met Taki. 5 years have passed for Taki since he's last met Mitsuha. Mitsuha has finished up with school and has eventually found a job in Tokyo. Taki too has graduated and is looking for a job. These are the opening scenes of the movie.

Over all the years, Taki and Mitsuha are left with a feeling that they are looking for something or someone. Though they can't recollect any of their switchings, they sense a connect. This is amplified by the "I love you" that Taki writes on Mitsuha's hands. In their last moment together, Taki expresses his feelings for Mitsuha and not just his name. Also, Mitsuha wears the thread which Taki has kept for 3 years and during their switches. A combination of the thread and their mutual feeling for one another leaves them in a state of a subliminal hunt for each other. We see Taki and Mitsuha walking past each other through various moments in Tokyo. Taki even happens to be in a diner where Teshi and Sayaka are eating. Looks like the two of them are now together and live in Tokyo. Taki faintly remembers their names but the two leave the diner. Okudera comes to meet Taki. She's now married. The two of them talk and mention that they can't remember much from the day they head to Itomori. She wishes him good luck and leaves.

Taki and Mitsuha finally see each other from their respective trains. They run around looking for each other and finally find one another. On the stairs, they continue to pass by without speaking. After all, both are finding it awkward to randomly talk to a stranger they've never met. But Taki breaks the silence by asking Mitsuha if they've met before. She replies by saying she thinks so too. Their connection is reestablished, they shed a tear, they ask for each other's names. The film ends.