YOU LET HIM FALL

-TIMESKIP... again.... Brought to you by Steve's shield-

Mackenzie stalks through the tents, searching for her brother, she had just been given the news. "STEVEN GRANT ROGERS! WHEN I FIND YOU..."

She stops short when she hears a familiar couch come from inside the tent closest to her. "James...?" She whispers, hoping it's him and that it was all a lie.

She pulls the flap of the tent slowly and makes eye contact with a very naked man, he doesn't seem to mind although Mackenzie's face turns a bright shade of scarlet and before he can say anything she takes initiative and leaves the tent.

"Dammit." She mutters under her breath and holds a hand to her head. "That's something that I'm never going to get outta my head..."

A hand falls on her shoulder and she turns with a flip of her hair, quickly and efficiently grabbing the one that touched her. "Don't you dare come out... Here and touch... Me? Steven!" She pulls him in for a tight hug before she says anymore and gets herself into trouble or punches him.

"Sis, what's wrong?"

"Nothing... I just... I heard... Steven, what happened? Is he alive...? Tell me. Please... Is Buck ALIVE?" She holds him by his shoulders, shaking him a little, what with herself shaking and her heart not slipping a beat.

"He's... I'm sorry..." He pulls her back in and holds her close, he knows how much Bucky meant to her. He knows that she always hated him going on missions without her and this one they'd both left her behind.

"This... This is what happens when you don't let your little sister come with you!" She punches him in the chest, he doesn't feel it but she does it anyways.

"You're my little sister so yeah. And plus, Mack, Bucky told me to leave you here. It was his idea. He had a feeling something would happen if you did." He keeps his arms around her waist while the whole brigade stares them down. "You know he loved you."

"Did I? Did I really Steve? Because he didn't say it to my face, did he!?" She wants to yell at him, at the top of her lungs but she won't. She can't. Not for the sake of her sanity. "W... What actually happened. Tell me he didnt suffer."

"He fell, Mackenzie. He fell from the train, I tried so damn hard to grab his hand but he still fell." He has a tear in his blue eyes now.

"So he... Oh God... He hits the ground hard... He must have been hurting... But what if hes still there... Dying because we didn't come back for him, we didn't come back to save him... Help him..." She sobs into his chest now and Steve slowly moves his hand from off her back, waving it at the gathered men surrounding them.

'Go, now.' He mouths to them and they all scatter once he gives them a look that says a mile and then some for anyone who doesn't go. When they're gone he continues to rub her back, allowing a couple tears himself. "I know... I'm gonna miss him too."

"Shut up!" She smacks his chest now. "Just... Shut up."

Mackenzie narrows her eyes at her brother and Sam. "He's not... He's not here. He can't be here. I KNOW he's not... That can't be him Sam! Steven! He's dead, remember? You didn't catch him when he fell!"

She knows that she'd been blaming her big brother for Bucky dying. For his not catching him and letting him fall. She knows that he didn't do it, he didn't mean to, he'd tried to though. Steve sees her visibly tense up and shake her head as tears sparkle in her eyes.