Chapter 2

One week later

One of the guards came over to them

"Samantha Kingsmen, Neal Caffrey you have a visitor"

Sam and Neal looked at eachother and followed the guard out to meet there visitor. There visitor turned out to be Agent Peter Burke of the FBI. He had shown they weren't sure that he would but there he was.

"He showed" Sam said surprised

"Yes he did" Neal replied

Sam and Neal sat down at the table closest to where peter was standing.

"How'd you know?" Peter asked Neal

"C'mon, Peter. It's what I do. How upset were the Canadians?"

Peter laughed "Oh, very. Well, as upset as Canadians can get. Alright, so, I agreed to a meeting. We're meeting."

"Sam and I know why you call him the Dutchman"

This surprised Peter

"Like the ghost ship, he disappears whenever you get close." Sam said

"How do you know anything about him?"

"You know my life, you don't think I know yours? Did you get the birthday cards?" Neal said

"Nice touch." Peter replied

"You've been after the Dutchman almost as long as you were after me. Sam and I will help you catch him"

"Really? Really, how does that work? You wanna be prison pen pals?"

Neal opened a folder on the table in front of him. Peter sat down and picked up the papers in the folder.

"You can get us out of here. There's case law, precedent. We can be released into your custody-"

"Nice. This is very nice. But you're right, I do know you, and I know the second you're out, you'll take off after Kate."

"Peter, I am not gonna run." Neal said earnestly

Peter gave Neal a look that sayed, Uh-huh, yeah, sure.

"Trust me he won't run. I know Neal that was earnest. He won't run"

"I have no reason to believe that and I have no reason to trust you, you're a criminal" Peter said

"That may be but I'm still trustworthy. I have never lied in my life" Sam said to him

"I find that hard to believe"

"I never lie I just bend the truth"

"Sam you lie and you know it. by saying you don't lie you're lying" Neal said to Sam

"Just show Peter the other thing"

Neal Slid another sheet of paper to Peter "GPS tracking anklet. The new ones are tamper proof, never been skipped on."

"There's always a first time." Peter said

"Think about it."

"Sorry, Neal" Peter got up and pated Neal on the shoulder "Nice try"

Peter left and Neal and Sam turned and watched there ticket out of prison walk out the door. The rest of their day was the same as always, filled with boring chores and horrible food. When night came Sam and Neal were the last ones with their lights on like always. There cells were right next to each other so they talked a lot. Bobby the policeman walked down the cell block like he always does. Someone on the other end of Bobby's radio said

"Lights out, Bobby, shut 'em down."

"Neal, gotta turn that off.

"Can I get one more minute, Bobby?

"Okay, one more minute"

"Is it midnight yet?"

"Yeah, it's midnight"

Bobby proceeded to the cell to the left of Neal's

"Sam, gotta turn that off"

"Okay Bobby"

Sam turned her light off and sighed. There meeting with Peter didn't go as well as they hoped. Sam could help but think about being locked up for another four years. She couldn't take another day let alone another four years. She through her book across the room.

"I can't take it anymore" she growled under her breath

In the cell next to her Neal sat up on his bed and looked at his wall of tally marks. He added a final one. He stood there a minute, looking at all of them. He swiped through them violently, drawing a big blobby X through them, shattering the naked light bulb in the process. He sighed, and ran his fingers through his hair. He sighed again and turned to the opposite wall. He made a new mark: the start of his second four-year imprisonment. He hung his head. He felt exactly how Sam did, neither one of them could take four more years in prison. They needed to get out of there soon, but there one ticket out of there was Agent Peter Burke who had made it clear that he would not be taking them into his custody anytime soon if ever.

Meanwhile Peter was sitting in his living room with piles of papers spread out in front of him. He picked up a card with a picture of cupcake and the words "Happy Birthday" on it. He set it back down and his wife Elizabeth came down the stairs.

"Coming to bed tonight?" She asked

"Yeah"

Elizabeth Hugged Peter from behind and asked "What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Oh, don't tell me it's Neal Caffrey! I've been competing with him for three years."

"He'd be out today"

"You're considering his offer?"

Peter shrugged

"Well, of course you are, or you'd be in bed with me" Elizabeth said with a grin "Can he and his friend Sam help you find him?"

"Neal's smart. You know how much I like smart."

"Is he as smart as those Ivy League Co-eds they throw at you?" Elizabeth asked joking

"He's almost as brilliant as the woman I married"

"Ooh, good answer. So, what's the problem?"

"This is not the way it's supposed to go. You get caught, you do your time. There's more to this, more to this than some lost love. Some side angle he's playing."

"So you suggest he escapes a maximum security prison, knowing full well that you'd catch him, just so he could trick you into letting him out again?"

"It's a working theory."

"Yeah, keeping working."

They laughed then Elizabeth asked Peter

"Is it so hard for you to believe a man would do that for the woman he loves?"

"Neal and Sam just bought themselves four more years in prison. For what?"

"For what? If you were Neal, you wouldn't have run for me."

Peter's mouth opened and closed, but he didn't say anything

"That still doesn't explain why Sam broke out with him"

"Doesn't it? Sam broke out with him because she cares about him. She knows what Alex means to Neal and what it would do to him if he lost her so Sam wanted to help him find Alex and get her back"

"How could you possibly know all that? You don't even know her"

"She could have disappeared completely after you caught Neal. She could have gone anywhere in the world. She could have even stayed here in New York and been perfectly safe. She could have lived a normal happy life but instead she came to you"

"You're right. I had no idea she even existed before she came to me and turned herself in"

"That's my point. Now come to bed we can talk about this in the morning"