Chapter Four

Red as Blood 4

            Morgan knew that there was nothing she could do that would stop the prince from arriving. The castle was already in a hurry to get ready for the arrival of King Marland’s son Awain. More people, decorations strewn about everywhere. The servants in a hurry to make the castle spotless. She imagined they wanted freedom at least for their beloved princess when they would get none of their own. She doubted that sentiment would remain once they saw Awain.

            But Awain was not the problem. Simona had taken to the news without any reaction. The queen blamed shock. The girl had never had friends to whisper about handsome boys, about dreams and romances. How much she knew about matters, Morgan didn’t know and didn’t particularly care. She readied herself, wearing her best gown embroidered with gold and silver thread, the ivory of the dress melting into the color of her skin, the flowing skirts with thick maroon brocade trailing behind her.

            She had worn her best jewelry, rubies shining at her ears and throat, a dozen thin bangles clinking at each of her wrists. Her anklets were of white gold, made to match her dress. The scented oil she rubbed into her skin got rid of the smell of blood, which never rid her easily. There was still a trace, but flowery sweetness overpowered it.

            The queen looked through the gate. The first of King Marland’s carriages were arriving. Simona would be waiting below, welcoming them. The prince would be pleased by her, but the feelings couldn’t be reciprocated. The queen looked at herself in the mirror.

            She wondered, looking into the mirror, if it was possible for anyone to look lovelier than she did at the moment. It was impossible she decided. She had been beautiful even before her transformation, but the difference after added perfection to her appearance. Her high cheekbones were tinted the lightest of rose, her gold curls every hair in place. Eyes like green lagoons, men used to tell her. She smiled at the way the dress draped over her body, as she and the cloth were one.

            If she wasn’t enough to please her suitor, she would assume he would stay alone for the rest of eternity. She had sought one alliance and found herself with an offer of two. Her stepdaughter was getting married, and soon she would as well. Her prince was coming for her, and she looked out at the shadows cast by the light from the window. Late afternoon. He would arrive at midnight, she decided. With the moon at his back he would arrive in the night which was theirs and theirs alone.

            She would leave Simona and Mirtlemeadow behind in the arms of her prince, the one that had turned her all those years ago. They had fought, yes, but he was the one that made her cold heart come to life. He was the one that she had loved for eons, worshipped until he had cast her off. She wondered if it was pathetic that she wanted him back. But he was her prince. She wouldn’t let the past come between them when he was almost at her door. They would unite, and she would conquer as she did before. Blood would flow in rivers, and the pitiful human kings who tried to overtake her would fall like saplings in a storm.

*          *          *

            Simona looked at the old man in front of her. He was into sixty years of his life, large but far from imperious. His clothes were rich, too rich and his great expanse of stomach tested the strength of his belt heavily. A long red cape hung from his shoulders, fixed by two pins bearing gold eagles. She winced as the carriage lifted up as he stepped on to the ground. She had hoped that Awain was a road to freedom. It took her five seconds to decide that she would rather stay in her prison. The man had a squire at his side and an old woman at his left.

            The squire was a forgettable young boy, small and sprightly. He held the curiosity of the average boy, and his hand reached for the short dagger at his hip. The old woman was more notable, and far less afraid. Various emotions passed over her face all the time. It was apprehension as they stepped out of the carriage, surprise as she looked around at the simplicity of the castle, and finally she looked at Sim. And Sim saw guilt and pity all at once.