Chapter Fifteen

Chapter 15

Kay looked shocked at Cameron's remark, "What? What are you talking about?"

"I had forgotten all about it..." Cameron whispered, staring down at the plate.

"Cameron? What had you forgotten about?" She placed a hand on his which got his attention, "Tell me."

Cameron looked at her with a sorrowful expression, "It was a little over a year ago... Johnny had just been taken to prison and I was kind of in a bad place." Kay gave his hand a reassuring squeeze, "I don't know... one day I had just decided to take a walk around, I didn't know where I was going, I just wanted to be alone..."

Thirteen months ago...

Cameron was frustrated, Jonathan wasn't a killer and Cam knew in his gut that Johnny was innocent but all the evidence seemed to suggest otherwise. He sighed as he walked along the sidewalk when he came across a small coffee shop called Marigold's Cafe. He needed a coffee. He went into the cafe and went up to the counter. A heavily pregnant woman with dark curly hair and bright blue eyes came up to the counter, "Hi there. I'm Fiona. What can I getcha?"

"Could I get a coffee please?"

"Just the coffee?"

Cameron sighed, "I-I don't know..." He couldn't think clearly.

"Hey, is everything okay?" She asked with a concerned look.

"Is it that obvious?"

"I don't mean to pry but it looks like you're not having the best day." She said pouring the coffee into a cup and passing it to him.

"I'm not. Not really." He took a sip of the coffee, "You're good."

"Always had a sort of sense about these things" She suddenly felt a kick and clutched her stomach, "Sorry about that. This one's a kicker."

"Congratulations. Boy or girl?"

The young woman smiled causing familiar dimples to appear, "Girl. I thought I was excited about it but you should see my husband, he keeps coming home with new stuff for the nursery, it's crazy." She cringed, "Sorry, you said you were having a bad day."

Cameron chuckled, "It's fine." He took another sip of coffee, "To be honest, I don't know what I can do about it."

Fiona thought for a moment, "Well, you know what Marigold, the owner of this place, always says?"

Cam shook his head and laughed, "What?"

"Cheesecake can always make you feel better."

Cam laughed, "Does it?"

Fiona shrugged, "She really loves The Golden Girls and our cheesecake is pretty great because it's kinda unique."

Cameron nodded his head, "Then I will have a slice of cheesecake then."

"Coming right up." Fiona went and got a nice slice of cheesecake putting it on a plate and brought it over to him.

"Thank you. ...Sorry to ask but aren't you tired?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean being pregnant and all the while still on your feet working."

Fiona let out a laugh, "Well, I'm not the only working pregnant woman in the world but I can tell you that while it may not be comfortable at times, I do love working here so... it's worth it."