Flashbacks (intro)

Ryan was 14, their dilapidated trailer home sat on 10 acres. He loved to go out into the woods with his dads old .410 and hunt whatever came his way. It was a way of escape for him, life beat him up a lot. His mom had found him a job, his boss there abused him. His mom, on the other hand, was a drug addict on welfare. He struggled to fit in in school, he was the only 14-year-old who was feeding his family, well as much as you could call them family. He tended to keep to himself and try to get good grades. 

On this particular day as he was walking down the little trail he had walked into the ground behind his house. And he noticed a particularly thick, overgrown patch of brush. On this certain day, it struck him as odd. He decided to poke around a little. He stuck his head in and found himself staring at a hole in a wall. Resting the gun against a tree he squeezed through the hole. It was pitch black. He squeezes back out and returns to his house to grab a flashlight. Returning to the building he squeezed back into the building. Turning the flashlight on he shines it around the building. Sitting in the corner of the shed is a truck with a tarp over it. Walking over to it he lifts the tarp. Sitting right in front of him is an old dodge w150 on four flat tires. Ryan grabs the door handle and pulls. The door squeaks open with a groan. In the driver's seat, he finds two sets of keys. He cleans floors in an auto shop so he has understood that the truck wouldn't start right up after years of sitting.

He reaches over to the glove box and finds the registration and other papers in his dad's name. Climbing out of the truck he starts investigating the rest of the shed. Finding a lockbox in the corner, he tries one of the keys from the key ring that he found in the truck. A few keys later the lockbox opens. 

He starts thumbing through the papers and finds the vehicle title. A few pages later he finds a faded sheet of looseleaf paper. He starts to read it and begins to choke up. It was written by his dad describing the list of things to do to it before the keys are handed to him. 

He immediately started working on the old truck. It was faded black mixed with spray paint touchups here and there.